Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

MY SON AGED 11 STUDYING 4TH CLASS IN INDIA IS A HYPERACTIVE

Customer Question

MY SON AGED 11 STUDYING 4TH CLASS IN INDIA IS A HYPERACTIVE CHILD.VERY POOR AT SCHOOL,VOILENT WITH MOTHER.VERY IMAGINARY,DOES NOT WRITE THE ANSWERS EVEN IF KNOWS IT,NOT GOOD IN ANY SPORTS ALSO.WANTS TO PLAY WITH STREET CHILDREN,CRAZY ABOUT SEEING VOILENT CARTOON PROGRAMMS ON TV.CAN NOT SIT QUITE ,GETS BORE EVERY TIME PLS HELP ME WITH SOME EFFECTIVE SOLUTION.I LEAVE IN DUBAI,U.A.E.FOR JOB WHEREAS MY FAMILY LEAVES IN INDIA
THANKS
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Hi Kalim,

I would go to a psychiatrist who specializes in children for another consult. There are many medications out there - he just didn't get the right combination of treatment. Find one that you feel confident in, and then stick with them with medication changes until you feel your son is properly treated. It can be very difficult to find what works with a child, and the doctor needs your feedback on what is working and what isn't.

You can also see an educational psychologist who can examine your son to see if he has a learning disability that is hindering his progress. Children act the way they do for reasons that make sense to them - something isn't well with him and he needs your help to show him the way through this dilemma. There is help for him, but it may take some time to find the right combination of counseling, educational adjustments and medication. Keep at it till it's right.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your question today. I wish you all the best for your son and your family. Being separated at times like this can be stressful for everyone. Take care of yourself and them.

Anna