How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ralph LMHC Your Own Question
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 872
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Ralph LMHC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Are there centers where adults with PTSD and/or bipolar

This answer was rated:

Are there centers where adults with PTSD and/or bipolar disorder can be treated for more than the week or so common at acute care psychiatric unit? Have you ever seen an insurance company agree to longer term or residential treatment for such disorders (in this case, after 10 years of multiple short-stay hospitalizations which haven't worked)?


Contact NAMI at and ask them for the number of the local chapter. Contact the local chapter and enlist their assistance. Also ask them for the names of the local psycho-social clubs in the area. Psycho social clubs are places where mentally ill people can congregate with supervision and receive training, entertainment and socialization, etc. They may have clients looking to share housing. In addition there is Federally supported housing for the mentally ill. They are called just that supported housing-a case worker visits anywhere from daily to weekly depending upon the program. The rent is subsidized and is low cost. In addition such national organizations as the Volnteers of America, and the Salvation Army, etc run such programs, so I would contact them either locally or at their national headquarters. There is a lot of paper work, verification and some places have waiting lists so I would move with all haste. I think this would be ideal as I have run a number of such facilities myself. You can do a search on your own under support housing, or housing for the mentally ill. You should be able to find appropriate housing within your locale. Again I would start with NAMI as they are a great resource and have significant experience in this area. Lastly you can call 1 800 lifenet-which only services NYC, but can provide you with a phone number for your state. You can call that number and ask for help in looking for a housing program. Best wishes and good luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your response! Just a question before I close this one -- would these kind of programs be available to people who are high-functioning?
I'm by no means disabled -- in fact I hold a very challenging job and take care of my two children -- just facing some nasty symptoms that won't go away.
My sense of supported housing etc. was that a) it wasn't for people who were able to work and care for self and b) that it wasn't for married people either.
Any feedback on that?


Numerous mentally ill people are high functioning, but because of their illness are not able to maintain full time employment. The decision as to eligibility is based on disability not the degree of functioning. Typically they need to have numerous hospitalizations and have a significant axis I diagnosis.


Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.


Ralph LMHC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

About a year ago you answered the question above, and I've still been mulling it over. If we're hoping to move to a new location, would we be able to start the process of finding such housing from here? What next steps might we take?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.