Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

What is the result of staing dark nusing house all day?

Customer Question

Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 8 years ago.

There are some studies that point to the lessened degree of light causing depression possibly as a result of decreased melanin production. There is a diagnosis of Seasonal Affective Disorder which is a depression associated with the seasonally reduced amount of sunlight. One of the treatments for this is a light box. It is thought to be more associated with the eyes than skin and for this reason there light glasses that present the same stimuli directly to the eye. In addition staying in a darkened room may not be the cause of an affective disorder (depression) but may be a symptom of the depression itself. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What do you think of seniors using light therapy? Doesnt eyes get sore and stuff?
Is it possible to have a live chat or phone counsultant with you?

I am sorry that Justanswer does not allow for contact outside of the website, but you may ask for me Ralph LMHC whenever you wish when answering a question. I have had several friends and associates who have used the light glasses and reported that there were no problems when used per the directions.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I see. I was actually researching about light therapy.
To briefly explaning about myself, I am in my maters degree with Industrial Design. Studying and researching senior's physical and mental health issues due to the lack of daylight exposure.
you fed me with one of the best information out there. any information will be helpful for me at this point.
I am hoping to create a product using our latest technology to further contribute our elders.
p.s. If you can refer me to any other people for my research plz let me know.

I am sorry, but I am a teacher and therapist not a researcher, so unfortunately I cannot help you with reference material. Although annecdotal I do not think it is coincidence that our northern most countries have the highest depression and suicide rate. In addition, I personally lived in coastal northern California where the fog, cloud cover, and howling wind kept people indoors for weeks at a time. The feeling of depression on these occasions was palpible. If you could invent something that was light weight and unobtrusive, I would venture to say there would a ready market. Best wishes and good luck. Please excuse any spelling errors as there is a glitch in the spell checker.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC