How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Vikas Your Own Question
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2253
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Vikas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi my name is carly, i have been thinking about talking to

Resolved Question:

hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX have been thinking about talking to a psychiatrist because my mum and some of my friends have told me before i should see someone because im always in a state of numbness in regards XXXXX XXXXX feelings and i tend to change moods at the drop of a hat, usually to the upset depressed cant dealt with anything anymore and dont really want to talk about it but i cant handle being so upset and numb all the time anymore....
would it benefit me seeing someone about possible depression/anxiety issues that i may have that i am not sure how to deal with and how would i need to go about this....i dont really like talking about it and i dont reallly want to go on any drugs but if they will make me feel happy for 1 god damn day i'll take them just so i can have that 1 day of happyness where im not thinking about the worse in every situation and not making myself feel worthless....
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Hello Carly,

The symptoms you have written are commonly reported by patients suffering from anxiety and depression.

I am giving you a link to online depression screening scale, kindly go through it and get back to me with the results.

Depression Screening Test


Edited by Dr Vikas on 10/5/2009 at 4:12 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
okay. i completed the test my total score was 60...
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 7 years ago.
Thanks carley.

On the basis of your symptoms you have mentioned and the test scores you got, in my view you should definitely consult a psychiatrist near for you proper diagnosis and treatment.

You have mentioned that you have already tried St John wort, meditation and minerals and they may be of some use in mild depression but not in moderate to severe cases. Also alcohol will only aggravate the depression so please avoid it totally.

There are variety of effective treatment options available for depression such as medicines and psychotherapy. Medicines are very effective for treating depression, are not addictive but if you don't want to take medicines, another option is Psychotherapy such as Cognitive Behavior therapy.

You can find the details in this link given below where everything is explained in simple words. Please see under the heading what kind of help is available in this link.

What kind of help is available?

If you have any other query, please feel free to ask.

I wish you an very early and speedy recovery.

Dr. Vikas and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions