Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My 36 year old niece seems to have suffered some type of

Customer Question
mental breakdown. She is...
My 36 year old niece seems to have suffered some type of mental breakdown. She is paranoid and believes that her mother and an old boyfriend have orchestrated some type of conspiracy against her that includes the entire family. She won't use cell phones or computers and has fled the house with no money or credit cards after pleading with people to tell her why they were doing this to her. We don't know where she is.
She has been taking a prescription drug called Accutane for 6 months and has suffered numerous side effects. I see on the internet that depression, aggitation (and even suicide) is attributed to this drug.
A. Can her mental condition be caused by the accutane?
B. How long will it take to get out of her system (she doesn't have any with her)
C. If she comes home, how do we convince her that her delusions are not real and the family is not trying to hurt her?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
10/4/2009
Mental Health Professional: Ralph LMHC, Therapist replied 8 years ago
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist

From what you describe she is experiencing paranoid delusions. Her mental condition can be caused by this drug, but she may have had a psychotic break. If it is the medication, the cessessation of using it will remedy the condition. The psychosis attributed to Accutane is usually hallucinations (seeing things), not delusions (blatanly false beliefs). However whatever the cause, she is serious danger with impaired judgement and a risk to herself and possibly others. I would contact the police and describe her state of having a "mental breakdown. I would contact all the local emergency rooms and and inquire if she was admitted. My heart goes out to you during this especially traumatic time. If she returns home you need to have her hospitalized by calling 911 and having her taken by ambulance to the hospital for evaluation and stabilization. Best wishes and good luck.

.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional.

Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist