How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carol Kryder LMFT Your Own Question
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 808
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Carol Kryder LMFT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a mature student (agency carer)with R.M.H.N. background

Customer Question

I am a mature student (agency carer)with R.M.H.N. background (not registered for many years). I am studying the Access to Higher Education course at college and gained 190 credits with the Open University courses at home. I am very interested in developing my career in working in the field of Learning Disabilities and Mental Health and as a Pharmacy Technician - I used to own and run my own shop when I had a young family.
What are the qualifications and how do i achieve my goal?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Afternoon,


If you are looking at a career in the mental health field as a therapist, a Master's degree is generally what is needed and a state license (in the state of your residence/practice)

A Master's degree will take about 2 years post bachelor's degree and in order to become fully licensed you're looking at another 3 years. You may want to go to the state licensing board in the state of your residence and look at the requirements for mental health clinicians. As a licensed mental health clinicians, the jobs you would be able to apply for are either at colleges or mental health agencies (many of them state ran versus privately)

If you do any work with a degree below a Master's degree and without a license, you are looking at support worker jobs that pay in the low to mid 20K per year.

If you are really interested in the mental health field, it may be helpful to you to apply for some jobs in your area and see what is available. The best thing that you could do is first see what each job entails and then decide if the work, the pay, and the field are something you would like to commit your money (for education) and time.


You may want to explore the field of social work and especially that of a fully licensed social worker as their lobby is very strong and they in my humble opinion are more employable than a licensed counselor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What type of bachelors degree would i study at university -
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.

Since Dr. Rossi is away, I will be happy to assist you. For the bachelor's degree you probably should major in Psychology or Social Work. There are several different areas of psychology you can choose from.

Dr. Rossi is correct in saying that social workers have a very strong lobby and can gain employment in hospitals especially because of that lobby. However, I am a Licensed Professional Counselor, and a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and I have worked in a total of four hositals in three different states.

It all goes back to experience and ability. So, if you know the field you want to work in, say, Industrial Psychology, find a program in which you can obtain that degree, then by all means go on to get a Master's Degree, because the salary for a bachelor's level clinician is embarrassing. If you really like research, get a PhD, as research is part of that degree.

The first thing you need to do is to interview several professionals who are currently in jobs that you think you may be interested in. Then ask them what they did to get where they are. Most professionals in the helping field are willing to help students because we remember how it was for us.

I hope this has been helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.