Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

How does Cymbalta withdrawal last? It has been over a week

Customer Question
How long does Cymbalta withdrawal...
How long does Cymbalta withdrawal last? It has been over a week since I have taken any and I feel almost worst than when it started.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
9/24/2009
Mental Health Professional: Anna, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
HeyCustomer

If you stopped Cymbalta abruptly, the symptoms can start in a week and then last for a few days or up to 3 weeks, according to some of the information I checked. It makes sense with what you're reporting.

http://depression.emedtv.com/cymbalta/cymbalta-withdrawal.html

This link will tell you more about the withdrawal from Cymbalta and has some ways that you can reduce your discomfort. You can always contact the person who prescribed it and ask them for a step-down schedule that takes into account your personal health and your desire to discontinue the medication.

Take care, and I hope you start to feel better soon.

Anna
I have read on several boards that other anti-depressants often help the withdrawal symptoms. Is this true? And would they be available in South Korea? I have tried the step-down schedule but had to stop because of the withdrawl symptoms.
Those questions are past my level, and would be better answered by a physician, would you like me to opt out so that one may pick up your query?

In general, if the step down schedule is producing withdrawal symptoms that are too much to take, it needs to be lengthened.
I would rather a physican. Thank you.
You're welcome! Sorry I couldn't answer all of your question. I'll opt out and it'll go back on the board. If you don't get an answer soon, I recommend reposting it with "For a physicican" in the first line of the question with an increased bid amount.

Take care, and I hope you find relief soon.
Anna
Thank You
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist

Anna has already provided you with a good amount of information.

While stopping Cymbalta,most patient are able to tolerate 50% dose reduction for first 3 days, then another 50%reduction for 3 days then discontinuation.

If you are having withdrawal after following this schedule, the usual strategy is to raise the dose to stop symptoms and then restart withdrawal much more slowly and it depends on the tolerability of patient, how much reduction he or she can tolerate.

Using other antidepressants would not be useful in my view for stopping the withdrawal symptoms because of Cymbalta. You need to contact your doctor, if the withdrawal symptoms are severe and he will guide you properly and may raise the dose initially depending on the clinical status.

If you have any other query, please feel free to ask.

Regards
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist