Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

Something is wrong. my daughter is 6 years old and things

Customer Question

Something is wrong. my daughter is 6 years old and things just dont seem right with her. she has always been real distant and if you ask her a question normally she will just stand there and not say anything and just look around. You could tell her to do a simple task and she will not do it because she doesnt remember. She is very very quiet and she has never been one to lie. the past few days have been really strange, she cant remember what she did 5-10 minutes ago. ex: my son came home from school and rang the door bell... she was the only one down stairs so she unlocked the door and let him in. at that time they had a conversation with each other. 5-10 minutes later she remembered none of this. i asked her where her brother was and she said upstairs and i asked her how he got in and she replied that she didnt know he just walked by her while she was reading a book. first of all there was no book! second there is no other way he could have got in. and there are other incidents!!!!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 8 years ago.
Hi and welcome to just answer

If this behavior has been a constant for her, the forgetfulness, the distance and lack of affect it would be in her best interest to have her evaluated by a neurologist or/and neuropsychologist. She has a short term memory problem and it needs to be investigated. Has she ever had a injury to her head? If she has experienced a trauma at some point she may have a traumatic brain injury (TBI). A TBI injury can change the way she acts, moves, and thinks. A TBI can cause problems in many areas, such as thinking, reasoning, understanding words, remembering, talking, hearing, seeing.
I would investigate this behavior as soon as possible by talking to her pediatrician and getting a referral to a neurologist. I hope this helps.
Dr. Keane
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied. I am available for followup if needed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
if i could pleases tell you a little more.... my daughter will also sometimes make up things always having to do with getting in trouble. if i ask her why about almost anything she says because she didnt want to get in trouble when fact is she has never got in trouble for that specific thing and this is constant. she acts like she is scared all the time and there is nothing to be scared of here!! shes scared to say the wrong thing so she doesnt speak or shes too intimidated to come and give any of us any affection. she is very distant and withdrawn for NO reason! nothing bad has ever happened what could this be?
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 8 years ago.

Everyone is born with differnt temperments and personalities. If you daughter is shy and quiet by nature and the rest of the family is more outgoing and verbal she may "fear" telling the truth because it will bring attention to her, no matter how irrational that fear may be it is scary to her. What is the basic temperament of the family members? If there are family members who are loud, shout, yell, get angry, insist on answers the child feels fear and will lie to make the tension go away. How is punishment handled?
Even if there is nothing to be afraid of, how much is made out of her response, I'm scared? How is it handled. I believe this is a problem that is secondary to your first question but is leading me to be concerned about a relationship between her possible TBI and fear. Has she been bullied by anyone?
Has anyone to your knowledge been hitting her? Is she alone with anyone who may be bullying or hurting her. Intimdation is the result of the fear. You may think that she has no reason for being withdrawn and distant but it really needs professional attention. I hope you take action as soon as possible and get your daughter evaluated. You will be better able to understand her when you have all the pieces of her puzzling behavior put together.
Dr. Keane
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied.