How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelley Your Own Question
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1018
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kelley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 37 years old - divorced and my mother lives with me.

Resolved Question:

I am 37 years old - divorced and my mother lives with me. She is extremely demanding, obsessive and treats me like a 2 year old. She is 73 and is alway emotionally tackling me.
Since i was the youngest child, i always gave in to her but now I find it hard to deal with the situation and coming from a traditional indian family i feel it my obligation to serve during her old age. my life seems to be on hold - my work stress and constant watch from her is driving me crazy don't know how to go about life any longer and just going through it like a robot
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for usuing JustAnswer!

I commend you for taking in your mother and taking care of her.

I would suggest starting strong boundaries with her. Let her know that you are an adult and that she is living in your house. Tell her you respectivly hear her concerns and you understand she cares about you but that you are an adult and you will no longer be treated like a two year old by her. Change is hard and can take a while so be patient but set your boundaries and stick to them. It often gets harder before it gets easier but if you stick with it, it will get easier. Let her know that if she berates you that you will not take it and you will walk away from her. Then take a walk around the block and take a breather.

Does she need constant supervision? If not then set up time when you are getting out of the house. If she does need constant supervision then hire someone who can come in and supervisor here while you go out and get some "alone" time.

If you are interested then therapy can also help. It will allow you to be able to vent to someone and get constructive assistance on how to change and make this a better situation for your. I hope this information helps. Let me know if I can assist further.
Kelley and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you