How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4661
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm not sure where to begin. I've been separated/divorce for

Resolved Question:

I'm not sure where to begin. I've been separated/divorce for a year and a half. Lost my job in March of this year. Since then, I have been in a world I don't know. There's a lot more going on than I can write in this paragraph. My mom was diagnosed w/alzheimer's this past Feb. Lost a close friend of 16 years in March. Moved 2 times in the past year due to financial related stuff. my 18yo daughter is bringing on more stress than I can stand.

I'm not sure why I'm writing this to an online company except for my sense of hopelessness, sadness and feeling overwhelmed beyond belief. Each of my 3 closest friends has bizarre issues going on, and I do not feel truly connected (to talk completely open) with any of them.

I'm not sure what to do to get back my hopefulness for the future. I'm tired of jobhunting everyday for the last 6 months. Rent was due yesterday and I'm $500 short. No family source to get it from. I'm just feeling like giving up.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, from your complaints it is suggestive that you are suffering from Depression , which has developed owing to the stressful and emotionally traumatic recent past events such as death f a near and dear one , loss of job , alzheimer diagnosis of mother and stress related personal and family issues .

I would want to tell you that the feeling of hopelessness and helplessness, and the inability to feel pleasure and social withdrawl and pessimistic / negative thoughts that you are currently experiencing all all the typical features of A Depressive disorder , which needs to be treated promptly , so that you can get back to your normal confident and zestful self , and turn the tables around , meaning get a good job and cope with the everyday stress better .

YOu see , it is impossible for any of us to stop stressful and traumatic things to happen in our lives , but what is within our control is to cope with such situations calmly and overcome he odds like a true winner , and for all this to happen you need a healthy and fresh mind , and so as long as depression is there , you will not be able to think clearly and objectively and even good opportunitiies will be missed .

So, i suggets that before thinking about your hiuse rent , or mother's illness or any other thing , just consult your gfamily doctor and get your self started on 1 ani depressant such as Paxil CR ( paroxetine controlled release ) or Effexor XR ( venlafaxine extended release ) , any one of these two shall be started , since either of these two are long acting drug formulations , so only single morning only dose is required , and continue this anti depressant for 2-3 months , and i am quite sure thatyou will come out of depression . The effects of the anti depresant will start showing on your depressed state of mind after 1 -2 weeks , it is just complete recoveru from depression can take 2-3 months , so kindly continue on it for this much time ,and you will yourself realize the improvement in state of mind.

I suggest you discuss the the use of the anti depressant with your doctor , and let him start you on any 1 of them and also let him decide the dose of the chosen drug.

Kindly see the links below..

I hope this helps...

I wish you all the best .and rapid recovery.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.


Dr. Kaushik and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you