How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelley Your Own Question
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1018
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kelley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister has been having severe manic episodes along with

Resolved Question:

My sister has been having severe manic episodes along with anxiety and depression. She is 25 years old and has refused any type of psychiatric treatment. She has been in and out of ERs for the past year complaining of symptoms that do not physically manifest themselves. How can I force help if she is a legal adult and she continuously refuses psychiatric help?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>Thanks for using JustAnswer.</p><p> </p><p>I am sorry to hear that your sister is having such a tough time. It can be so frustrating when we know that a loved one needs help but they do not know or are unwilling to seek assistance.</p><p> </p><p>There are a few ways you can force someone to get assistance. One would be if she is a danger to herself or others. If she is saying she wants to hurt herself then you can call the police, they will do an evaluation and can take her to the hospital. Another way, and probably better in your sisters case since you did not say she was suicidal would be to go to a judge and do an ex-parte. An ex-parte would be where a judge orders your sister to get a psychiatric evaluation.   </p><p> </p><p>I hope this helps!</p>
Kelley and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you