How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nancy Your Own Question
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 746
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Nancy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My nephew, who is 21 years old has been having mental health

Resolved Question:


My nephew, who is 21 years old has been having mental health issues and is seeking help. He recently was taken to an institution, and was denied admittance by a judge in Virgina. He is not speaking to anyone but has these very violent outbreaks were he is destroying his parents home, throwing things around, having outbursts of profanity, talking to himself and using illegal drugs, like Ecstasy, marijuana and other drugs.

We don't know what we can do to help him since the state will not commit him. We feel that he may become physically or fatally and are concerned because there are young children in the household.

Any advice you can give me to save his life is appreciated.


Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.
lt;p>HelloCustomer</p><p> </p><p>There are a few things you can do.</p><p> </p><p>First, he can see a psychiatrist for medication to help him with his anger outbursts. Those could work in as few as a couple of days.</p><p> </p><p>Secondly, he could live in a half-way house or therapeutic home for awhile until he is more stable. I strongly suggest this due to the other children in the home being at risk with him there. And, unfortunately, if anyone reported him to social services, the parents could be charged with child nelglect - due to having a known violent offender in their home with the younger children.</p><p> </p><p>You can locate halfway houses or therapeutic homes by calling your county social service department and asking to speak with a social worker.</p><p> </p><p>You can find a Psychiatrist by looking in the Yellow Pages of yourphone book under Physician - and then alphabetically find psychiatrist.</p><p> </p><p>Is there anything else I can do to help you today?</p><p> </p><p>Nancy</p><p> </p><p> </p>
Nancy and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you