How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelley Your Own Question
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1018
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kelley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is suffering from depression and seem to be

This answer was rated:

My son is suffering from depression and seem to be paranoid/schizohrenia.   He thinks people are watching him, mocking him, etc.   He lives in the Richmond, VA area and I would like to know if you know a good doctor maybe I could convenience him to see.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am very sorry to hear that your son is having such a hard time right now. There are several ways to find a doctor for your son. One is that if he has insurance to call the back of the card and find out who is a provided in the local area. If he does not have insuracne then to call the local community mental health clinic in his area and they can help him with services.

If he refuses to get treatment and he is a danger to himself or others or is not able to function with the paranoia then he can be committed to a hospital involuntarily for an evaluation and treatment. This can be done by calling the police to go to his home and check him out. Putting a petition in to a judge requesting that your son have a court order to be seen. Or by calling the local community mental health services to see if they have a mobile crisis unit to go and evaluate your son.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can assist you any further.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He is able to function. He work everyday (Mon-Fri) he does things around his house, goes to church, seem to be active in church, goes to his AA meetings most everyday, but is still thinking all these weard things.
If he functions that well then it seems to not be interfering with his life where he can no longer funciton. He sounds like he may be on the wrong medication or even the wrong dose. Do you think there is a possibility of relapse since he has a history of drinking? Substance abuse can cause the paranoia you are describing.

Since he works I am then assuming he is has insurance. I would suggest he calls them since he probably needs pre-authorization anyway and they can direct him to the right person. It also sounds like he is wiling to get help which is a great thing!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What medicine do you think he should be taking?
I am not sure without him seeing a doctor. It sounds like the paranoia is new or recent? If that is the case the doctor may only be giving him medication for depression/if any and he may need to be evaluated for what is causing his paranoia. It really depends on what is causing the paranoia. There are so many diagnosis such as relpapse, schizophrenia, bi-polar, and medical issues such as neruolgical issues. He really needs to let his doctor know his symptoms so his doctor can begin to eliminate the possiblities to find the dianosis and then get him on the correct medications.
Kelley and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This paranoia has been going on for the past three to four years. I know he has gotten worse since his divorce five years ago. He said he is taking a drug in the Zolof family. What could that be, it starts with a (C)?
Zoloft is an antidepressant. Could it be Celexa he is taking?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It could be, but not positive. Do you think that would be the right medication to treat paranoia?
No. An anti-depressant will not treat paranoia but will treat the depression. He really needs to see his doctor as soon as possible with the paranoia.