How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelley Your Own Question
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1018
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kelley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother suffers from very bad mood swings, the slightest

Resolved Question:

my brother suffers from very bad mood swings, the slightest thing such as bad weather can set him off, he is nasty in as much as he goes on binge drinking has no respect for his family and I really want to help him. He cannot keep a job. He is a very clever man but I fear this has gone on for so long that he cannot change. He has finally admitted to me that there is something not quite right and I want to help him find a way before he losses everything including his family.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry that your brother is having such a tough time. He sounds like he has an alcohol problem. He may be using the alcohol to self medicate from an issues such as depression, anxiety, or even bi-polar.

Alcohol abuse is a tough thing for families especially to deal with. There is no way to "force" someone into treatment. The patient has to really want it and work their recovery. This includes detox, regular therapay, aa, and dealing wtih any underlyning mental health issues such as depression. It is a lot of hard work to recover and relapse is common and part of recovery as long as he gets back up again and keeps going on his path of recovery.

If he is serious about getting help and has recently been drinking then he needs to detox before going into treatment. He will need to go to a detox center so they can medically monitor him while he gets sober. Once he is sober there are several different options. One would be for him to pay for a 30 day program. Most insurances do not pay for them so it will most likely have to come out of his pocket, but if he has insurance I would check with them first. Another options is an intense outpatient treatment usually called IOP and insurance usually does cover it. This is often conducted through the local community substance abuse center or mental health clinic, or hospital. I would start by contacting them. The next option is normally a longer program that is typically free or very low cost but they require a 6-12 month commitment. These places are usually faith based and include teen challange (they have mens programs) or faith farms. There are numerous programs as such.

I would also suggest that you and his family attend al-anon meetings. They are for family members of alcoholics and prove to be very helpful. I hope this help. Please let me know if I can assist anymore.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We are based in the UK and he does not have insurance, he is unemployed and has no money to pay towards any treatments. We all have committments and cannot afford to contribute also, but we do want to help him in order that he does not go through this alone.
Expert:  Kelley replied 8 years ago.
I would suggest contacting his local substance abuse clinic. It sounds like he had therapy through them before? That along with the medications could help him stay sober and they could help him deal with any underlying mental health issues as well for minimal cost. The most important part of his recovery is that he works the programs available to him and follows through.
Kelley and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you