Norman M.
Norman M., Principal psychotherapist in private practice. Newspaper contributor, over 2000 satisfied clients on JA
Experience:  ADHP(NC), DEHP(NC), ECP, UKCP Registered.
14727623

After weeks of physical & mental fatigue & stress; I lost

Customer Question

After weeks of physical & mental fatigue & stress; I lost all memory of several days at home and 2 days in the hospital. I have no memory whatsoever of the several days at home; only what i have been told in bits & pieces. My husband was very angry at me for things I supposedly said and I know I was left alone during the day and some evenings because I found a letter I had written saying I was afraid to be alone & asked my husband about it. I do know before all this peaked to this extent, I was very depressed....crying and "not wanting to be here" as I said. I have remained depressed: uncontrollable crying, sadness, lack of energy/motivation, can not get my work done. The forgotten period" occurred a year ago and I just never got answers as to what could cause that; and I am so afraid I will do it again. I always have thoughts of "getting away from it all"; and always say I will do necessary, time-related work "tomorrow". Can you give me any info on my condition?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Norman M. replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer- thanks for visiting.

I note thet the memory loss episode has not been repeated, and that at the time you had it, you were under tremendous stress. Sometimes, when we are under terrible stress, our minds simply shut off all memory of that time because it was just to awful to contemplate, and I,m pretty certain that this is what happened to you. From all you have said, ai may have been an episode called a disassociatve fugue, and it n
is not likely to happen again.

Your depression is still not under control, and you need to be in regular contact with your Doctor to make sure your medication is adequate and working.

I see too that you have little chance of talking about your issue to anyone. - I suggest you have a look at this website:

http://www.depressionalliance.org/docs/what_we_offer/what_we_offer.html

There's lots of support there, and there may well be a self help and support group in your neighborhood