Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I really feel like I am stuck in a rock and a hard place. I

Customer Question
Hi, I really feel like...
Hi, I really feel like I am stuck in a rock and a hard place. I just don't know what to do. I have been with the same man for 8 years. Our anniversary is actually today. I have no sexual desire for him anymore it seems. We have been engaged for 2 years. I guess we keep putting off the wedding. I really have no other family. My dad is pretty much estranged and my brother lives in Cali, I live in MD. There is no one else really. I hate burdening friends. I have been laid off 2 months ago, and would really like to move to another state, I am ok financially but not that ok financially to do so. I also have no kids, I am 35. I feel very depressed. I am not on medication, Dr. gave me Lexapro but I am to scared to take it. I just am not sure what to do. Should I just find work in this crappy town, because I feel better if I work, or should I just move somewhere else? We have been trying to find a place in FL, but even though his job is nationwide, there seems to be no openings. Any suggestion
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
9/1/2009
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, from your post two things are brought into light -- a) you seem to be suffering from Depression ( that is feeling of low mood ,lack of physical energy and lethargy , decreased libido , that is sex drive , inability to feel pleasure that is anhedonia , all these what you have been experiencing are typical features of depression ) , and b ) your dilemma regarding your relationship with your partner . So, here is the solution for both of your problems one at a time .

First of all , let me tell you that a lot of negative and hopeless thoughts which you have been experiencing are attributable to your depression , which probably has stemmed due to your professional and personal drawbacks , so in order to get out of your depressive phase and restart your enjoyable life , i suggest that you get started on 1 anti depressant such as PAXIL CR or EFFEXOR XR or you may start on lexapro also , as prescribed by your doctor , who is on a right track ,as he has appropriately prescribed the drug , which will treat your depression , and eventually you will start feeling much better . You need not be apprehensive about the side effects , as your doctor would start you on a low dose and gradually would increase the dose , according to the needs . So, i recommend use of an anti depressant in your case for your depression , but if you are totally averse to the use of any drug , then the other best alternative is to seek Psychotherapy ( counseling)from a clinical psychologist , and the best psychotherapy for depression is called as Cognitive behavioral therapy ( CBT ).

sO, IF NOT wanting to start on an anti depressant , then you may get started on CBT , and this will help you to deal with depression , as well it will make you more adaptable to the stressful life events .

kindly look at the link below..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_disorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

Secondly , since your relationship with your partner has become strained over a period of time , so it becomes necessary to rekindle your relationship before it becomes too late to mend , so i suggest that you consult a relationship expert and seek relationship counseling form the therapist , and sort out issues betwen yourselves.

So, you may follow the 2 above mentioned options , and i am quite sure that your problems will be taken care of .

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best ..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist