How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelley Your Own Question
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1018
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kelley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is a psychiatrist or a psychologist more appropriate in my

This answer was rated:

Is a psychiatrist or a psychologist more appropriate in my situation? I'm defending a challenge to my 9 1/2 year long-term disability claim against a private insurer. My underlying medical condition is an ANS disorder causing cognitive impairment when fatigued. I have a great cardiologist backing me 100%. My LTD insurer had "independent" neuropsychological testing done by a psychologist that my lawyer has great experience with as someone whose opinion is for sale to the insurance company. My lawyer advises getting my own expert to assist & recommends great local psychologist I already know. However, an M.D. friend (who is disabled by depression) thinks I should "go bigger with an M.D." by seeing his psychiatrist for this testing. Does a psychiatrist personally do this kind of testing or would he have it done by a psychologist? No mental health problems suspected, just "cognitive impairment due to autonomic dysregulation." What's best practically & strategically?

Thanks for usuing JustAnswer.

I would suggest that you use whoever is certified in neuropsychological testing which is usually a psychologist. To be certified most will have predoctoral training in neuropsychlogy and formal postdoctoral training in brain behavior relationships and neropsychological testing. This could then be used to say they specialize just in that where as if you use just a general psychiatrist/psychologist they may say that they did not specialize in it. If you can find a psychiatrist who is certified in this testing, then that is probably better (but there are probably few if any since this testing us usually done by a psychologist) but if not then I think that a psychologist who is certified would be considered a great expert in this field. I hope this helps. Good luck! Let me know if I can assist furhter.
Kelley and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you