How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nancy Your Own Question
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 746
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Nancy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter was going through an intensive in-home counseling

Customer Question

My daughter was going through an intensive in-home counseling program at her father's house. The counselor would bill for 3 hrs of service but be there for 4+ hrs. She had my ex-husband fix her car, help her with her cell phone, and still stops by his house (5 months after my daughters case was closed) to see how he is doing. In her reports she was making recommendations without doing the proper assessments. we are currently going through a custody battle and she refused to give her weekly notes to the custody investigator, instead gave her an overview verbally. In her report she stated that her and I had a negative relationship because "I was abused by a female therapist, I was jealous that she was spending time with my daughter, and I thought her and my ex-husband were going to get married". None of this is true. She has made several false statements which totally discredit me. I am also going into the counseling profession and I know this is unacceptable. What can I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

The first thing you can do is make a formal report to her supervisor. Request she be removed from your case based on her having a dual relationship with your ex (him fixing the car), and continuing a relationship past the case being close. You may not get anywhere, but it will be on file (for later, if needed).

Secondly, report her to her Licensing Board for unprofessional conduct (re: a dual relationship by having your ex fix her car). You need to know what kind of degree she has... if she is a social worker, LPC, PhD and so on...If she is a Social Worker - go to your State Social Work Licensing Board ( google your State name Licensing Board) website page and begin the reporting process.

Finally, consult with your city or State's local Pro Bono Law Center or obtain an attorney for what should be included in the reporting process.

Let me know what else I can do... iof nothing else, I can be a support!