Dr. G
Dr. G, Doctor
Experience:  MD
12907602

What anti depressant medication is BEST for my husband who

what anti depressant medication is BEST for my husband who is 75 y/o with diabetes, HTN, high cholesterol?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Please tell me, has he tried anything yet?

Does he have issues with sleeping or not eating?

When did the loss occur?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
nothing yet. no problem with eating/sleeping. has BPH, metabolic syndrome-taking meds for that. lately joints hurt and not participatin in activities and not getting dressed, seems depressed. doesn't smoke or drink
Expert:  Dr. G replied 8 years ago.
When did the loss occur?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
last year his brother passed
Expert:  Dr. G replied 8 years ago.

I'm very sorry to hear that. SInce he has no issues sleeping and eating, one of the better drugs out there is a class of drug called Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). They are the most widely used because they are effective and relatively safe. There are several drugs in this category, including: Prozac, paxil, zoloft, celexa, and lexapro. Lexapro is the latest and is a relatively effective drug that is usually well tolerated, especially in the elderly. Based on what you said, Lexapro may be the best anti-depressant for him.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask.

God Bless.

Have a blessed Sunday.
I hope I've been able to shed a little light on this for you.
If you have further questions on this topic, please feel free to ask.
Please remember to press "Accept"

You should always consult with your physician for the proper diagnosis and treatment.
The above was for educational purposes only and does not confer a doctor-patient privilege or relationship.