Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

MY FIANCEE HAS BEEN BEHAVING ODDLY LATELY. hE GETS VERY ANGRY

MY FIANCEE HAS BEEN BEHAVING ODDLY LATELY. hE GETS VERY ANGRY OVER TINY THINGS AND WITHDRAWLS FOR DAYS. hE TOLD ME A FEW HOURS AGO THAT HE WITHDRAWLS BECAUSE HE HEARS CONFLICTING VOICES IN HIS HEAD. hE SAYS ONE VOICE TELLS HIM TO DO THINGS LIKE ABONDON US OR DROWN HIMSELF. aND THE SECOND VOICE BELITTLES HIM. MAKES FUN OF HIS IDEAS ETC. hE SAYS HE FIGHTS WITH THESE VOICES. HE SAYS HE CAN'T SLEEP AND FEELS ANGRY AND VIOLENT FOR NO/ LITTLE REASON. hE FEELS A HEAVY PRESSURE ON HIS CHEST. tHESE ARE HIS COMPLAINTS. I HAVE NOTICED OTHER THINGS. HE BECOMES OBSESSED WITH THINGS. HE SPENDS DAYS RESEARCHING SOMETHING MINISCULE. HE HAS A VERY SHORT TEMPER WITH THE CHILDREN AND ME. HE NEEDS TO BE IN CONTROL AT ALL TIMES. HE NEVER SEEMS TO BE HAPPY.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.
Customer
I'm glad that you're asking for help. Do what you can to get him to a doctor, as what you're describing is a very serious illness. Hearing voices is a symptom of psychosis, and it can take his brain from his control to the point that he really can hurt you and/or himself. Get help. He is suffering from this and trying to control external things because he is so out of control internally.

It can be caused by a couple of things, but that doesn't really matter once he's at this point. He needs to be relieved of his symptoms as soon as possible.

If he does lose control in a way you feel is dangerous, don't try to handle it yourself. Call 911, take the kids and yourself out of the way (outside, in a seperate room) Medical personnel know how to handle this without hurting him. He won't sound happy about it, but all of you deserve safety.

If you've found any help in this post, please click Accept. Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We are on a very limited income and my fiancee is not a us resident yet. Any suggestions on where we can find help?
Expert:  Anna replied 8 years ago.
Any emergency room will treat this in it's acute state without regard for payment or citizenship. If he's hearing voices, it's an emergency. Its in everybody's best interest for someone hearing voices to get treatment as he wouldn't understand if he was hurting someone...he can lose the ability to use reason.
He may be suffering from Schizophrenia or Mania with Psychosis. I recommend you looking those up online. The more you learn, the better off your new family will be.