Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My daughter is 20 years old and is visiting from out of

Customer Question
town. She is sleeping...
My daughter is 20 years old and is visiting from out of town. She is sleeping around the clock with a few hours awake here and there. She said her fingers, toes and limbs are tingling and numb. Last night she told me to turn a light off because her eyes were too sensitive to the brightness of the liight. Today she told me she passed out at work after being dizzy and fell against a wall and couldn't hear anything and feels it was a blackout or fainting. She recently went on Respirdal and a generic for Wellbutrin for a possible bipolor disorder because she was depressed and noises were bothering her. Is this a side effect or a symptom of something? She refuses to go to the doctor and I am not sure this can wait. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
7/6/2009
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist

Dear Concerned,

This should not wait. She should be seen by a doc asap. Did she report this to her presribing doc? (when did this start ? Prior to her visit or afterwards?)

You've mentioned she does not want to go to the doc but it may be imperative that she is evaluated asap.

You may want to have her phone her medical/mental health insurace carrier (they generaly have nurses on call to aswer questions about meds and side effects/ask for the behavioral health on call nurse in the outpatient care management dept ) The phone for this should be on the back of her insurance card.

You may also want to consider calling some of the pharmacological companies for info

Pfizer: http://www.pfizerhelpfulanswers.com/pages/Find/findall.aspx
or 1-***-***-****

PhRMA: https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php or 1-***-***-****

OR see who the manufacturer of her meds/generic meds is and phone them for the side effects black box info (but side effects of meds should be always listed in the black box paper insert (perhaps you can find the black box listing on the pharmacological maker's website ) and/ or visit the WebMd which also has a list of medication side effects, interactions etc.

Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
She has no insurance and was prescribed for free if she goes to a therapy group in the county where she was going to school but was unable to continue. She has been cut back on her hours at work and I am between jobs also because of economy. Also, she did have a concussion when she was 9 years of age. She refuses to call her doctor for fear she will be told to go to an ER room because she thinks it can wait. I had doubts so wrote to you.
She is refusing to go.

Please find out which are the Community Mental Health Agencies in your area (on the phone dial 211 for the United Way phone line) This is a toll free ph number all you dial is 211 and once you find about the community agencies see about having her evaluated there (also see which hospital in your area serves individuals w/o insurance if she cannot afford the fee ) The community mental health agencies are operated by the state government and serve people w/o insurance or those w. Medicaid.

She would really need to be evaluated by a physician for this. It sound serious and uncomfortable for her as well.

Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist