How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gina P Your Own Question
Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 175
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Gina P is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 25 years old and my Fiance is 28, my fiance has a

Resolved Question:

Hello, I am 25 years old and my Fiance is 28, my fiance has a problem, He has a tendancy to talk to himself, it's sort of a MUMBLE that he does whenever he is in a conversation, he only says to himself, he does it loud enough for other people to hear him, but low enough not to really know what he's saying/ I'm not the only one, who has noticed it? Everytime he is confronted about it, he says he doesn't recall anything like that? Is he just thinking aloud? or is it deeper??
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 8 years ago.
If you have not noticed any other problems such as visual or tactile hallucinations, or delusions, it is probably a nervous activity related to thought process (thinking out loud). Is there a family history of any type of mental health disorders? Gina
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He is adopted so we have no info on his family health history. It had become quiet a problem for him, it's embarassing, he's said that he's been doing it at work, or out, but he doesn't realize he does it. I'm not sure about any hallucinations, but I don't think so. Is there a way to stop it?
Expert:  Gina P replied 8 years ago.
It could be a form of tic associated with Tourette's Syndrome. Does he have any motor repetitions?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What are motor repetitions?? I'm not sure. How do u test if that's what he has? I mean he' s not loud about it, or anything.
Expert:  Gina P replied 8 years ago.
It would be best if he would follow up with a physician for diagnosis. Usually this type of disorder would be diagnosed prior to age 18, so these symptoms would have been around for a while. Motor repetitions are repeated physical activities such as blinking or tapping a foot or any repetitive movements associated with other parts of the body involving motor skills. These can also be associated with ADHD.
On the other hand, if this is not a big problem for him, it may not need to be addressed. Does it impair his ability to work or in his relationships?
Mumbling could also be associated with insecurity and nothing a dose of self esteem won't fix!
As you can see there could be a wide diversity of issues associated with mumbling. Medication from a psychiatrist or GP could help, or it could be addressed by your finacee, once he is aware it is happening. A conscious awareness of behaviors and committment to address these can be completed through counseling. It does not swound as if it is a big problem thus far. At least for him. Definitely make an appointment with a physician and discuss opotions for him. Hope this helps. Gina
Gina P and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you