Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

Is there any way to get an individual who has an

Is there any way to get an individual who has an emotional/mental problem to go see a therapist if he/she doesn't want to go? There has been a mental health issue ( schizophrenia) with the father of this individual for many years and I am wondering if it has manifested in the adult child. He is irrational a lot of the time, paranoid (everyone is out to "get him") and self-centered where the world revolves around him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

It's extrememly difficult to get someone somewhere they don't want to go - especially when they are paranoid.

I've only seen a few things work - and only sometimes. If the person has a spouse - the spouse enters therapy and in a few weeks, asks the disturbed individual to a session under the pretense that the therapist wants to talk to them about the spouse in therapy. While there, the therapist - who has to be "in on" this evaluates the spouse. Not all therapists will work under this sort of deceit, but sometimes, someone will see that some people really need a push for help.

The only other thing I've seen work is where the family gathers as many people as possible, and with the help of a trained intervention specialist, holds an intervention. An intervention is where all the family gathers after they have set up some sort of treatment - tells the patient how concerned they are about the patient and their illness. The point is to get the patient into treatment - and if they agree, they leave the intervention and go right into treatment - or for an outpatient appointment with a psychiatrist.

Other than that, I have not seen much else work - until the person's family all leaves them (like an alcoholic or drug addict) or they hit rock bottom themselves.

Nancy