How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nancy Your Own Question
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 746
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Nancy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son was given a diagnosis of meeting the criteria of

Customer Question

My son was given a diagnosis of meeting the criteria of being on the Autistic spectrum.
This was done using the ADOS scale.
He met the criteria on his Social Skills,Communication Skills and Imaginitive Skills.
I feel he may have been misdiagnosed as he has overcome these to be able to go through mainstream school with no support and achieved all his grades. He resently applied to enter the RAF and past his aptitude test and had an interview and medical.
But with this diagnosis he has not met the criteria for entry.
I as a parent need to see if he has been misdiagnosed so we can begin the appeal process and get him a reassesment.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.


When was he given this diagnosis? How old is he now?


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He was diagnosed in 2003 when he was 11 years old he is now 18
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

It is possible that his scores were misinterpreted - so my suggestion is to have him retested now by a new doctor.


Nancy and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

If my doctor won't have this done is there anywhere I can go to have this done privately and how much can this cost

Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

Any Psychologist who administers testing can do this - they set their own rates, so I don't know how much it would cost.

But look for either a Psychologist who does testing or a Neuropsychologist (who is a psychologist who does testing).

Nancy :-)

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

when I go back to my GP what can I say to convince him in order us t for us to get t a re-assessment of our son.

Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

I would just tell him what you've told me. Explain to him that your son wants to do this and if there was a midiagnosis, he may be able to get in.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you Nancy I'll let you know how i get on
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

YES! Please do, let me know and let me know if there is anything else I can do!

Have a good day!

Nancy :-)