Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

My father is seeing a psychiatrist about our father to son

My father is seeing a psychiatrist about our father to son relationship. He wants me to see the same psychiatrist. My father told me that the psychiatrist said that he is not a family consultant.

I just tried to make an appt. today with the same psychiatrist. I am waiting for them to call back. Are we putting the psychiatrist in an awkward situation? Should I seek another psychiatrist?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 8 years ago.

On one hand, the psychiatrist could assist by knowing the both of you through individual counseling on a separate basis, and this can assist him in gaining insight into your relationship. You must also ask yourself if you will feel comfortable sharing your thoughts with him, and if you trust he will not disclose to your father and vice versa. You should be assured that laws prevent this without your signed consent, but the issue is whether you are comfortable.

A psychiatrist who becomes uncomfortable treating you for any reason, will let you know and will assist you with referral to another professional. You do no have to be concerned with this. Gina

..............................................................................................................................................

If this reply has bee helpful, please press the accept button so I may get credit