Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

This will seem like an odd/random question, but I am going

Customer Question
Hello, This will seem like an...

This will seem like an odd/random question, but I am going to go ahead and ask. I am in my late 20's and have MDD. Most consider me above average in looks. However, when I meet a women and we start seeing each other, I feel like breaking down and crying and/or leaving. As a result, I just avoid going out or trying to meet the opposite sex.

It has been like this for several years. Sometimes they think I am playing games or that I am strange, so I usually just avoid this type of situations. So, I guess I am curious why do I feel like balling my eyes out/isolating myself in the middle of a conversation with an attractive women whom I am interested with?

Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/5/2009
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Debra, Psychiatrist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Debra
Dr. Debra, Psychiatrist

If you have MDD then of course you are going to suffer emotional symptoms. When you don't feel like yourself its very hard to feel confident in relationships with other people.   Getting to know new people is especially stressful and someone with MDD is more vulnerable than others to stress in general.

Thanks, *****

So what can I do to stop this? Myself has become feeling like crying all the time. It seems when I am put in situations where I have to open up or forced to have fun I feel like crying.
Hi oceansurfer,

What medications are you on if any?
What dietary supplements if any?
Do you have any other medical conditions?
How long have you been noticing these symptoms?
Are you under any unusual stresses lately?

Thanks,

Dr. Debra
I take mirtazapine for about 18 months. It helps, but no libido.

My main concern is just whenever I get close I feel like breaking down and crying in front of them. Almost like I want them to take care of me. Obviosly this isn't right, but it is how i feel.

This is normal for depressed patients. In the intimate setting of my offices I see this all the time. Certain patients are so overwhelmed with sadness and stress that, when faced with a kind and attentive listener, they break down. It sounds like when you are put in a situation where someone is kind and welcoming to you, you feel like you want to let go of the emotions you have been bottling up, but also *don't* want to, because of how you would be perceived. This makes you want to leave the situation to avoid the embarrassment.

I highly recommend you seek a therapist or good friend who you can talk about things with on an honest level, so you don't have to seek emotional support from potential lovers.

On the pharmaceutical level, I think Wellbutrin might work nicely for you. It will probably brighten your mood and make you more receptive to enjoyable experiences.

Dr. Debra
Dr. Debra
Dr. Debra, Psychiatrist

Besides wellbutrin, is there any other anti depressants that would help? I have tried Wellbutrin before, but it is not as strong as mirtazapine.

Thanks

My first step in dealing with all my patients is a dietary and nutritional intervention. Depression is oftentimes remedied by fixing nutrient deficiencies and remedying hidden allergies. The most preferable course of action would be a complete blood workup. This is expensive and often not covered by insurance. My preliminary recommendation for you would be to address hidden food allergies by following the protocol suggested by Dr. Adamo in his book "Eat Right For Your Type". I have had tremendous success with my patients who follow this protocol. For nutrient deficiencies, the most commonly implicated in depression are found in this easily memorable abbreviation: MBD3. This stands for Magnesium, B Vitamins, Vitamin D, and Omega 3's.    Of the B Vitamins, P-5-P is a potent antidepressant for many of my patients.

Dr. Debra
Dr. Debra
Dr. Debra, Psychiatrist

I am a vegetarian. Is there a supplement for B vitamins you could recommend?

Thank you

As a vegetarian you are likely deficient in a number of crucial nutrients such as Zinc, Carnitine, Creatine, Iron, Choline, and Vitamin B12. If it isn't against your morals, I highly recommend you eat organic eggs regularly -- it will address a number of issues caused by lack of meat/dairy.

If you are eating leafy green vegetables in quantity you probably have enough Magnesium.

Unless you spend a lot of time in the midday sun, you cannot have enough Vitamin D without supplementation. And Omega 3's are difficult to attain without plentiful intake of fish/fish oil or flax oil.

You can try a Multi-B vitamin, but there is no need to megadose with 50, 100, or 150x the RDA -- this can actually have a negative effect. P5P is a special order, 25-50 mg a day is helpful. Vitamin D must be taken in gelcap form, not the dry tablets. You can safely take 5000 IU a day. If you choose to get omega 3's from flax oil, avoid brands with high lignans, as these are estrogenic.

Dr. Debra
Dr. Debra
Dr. Debra
Dr. Debra, Psychiatrist