How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NGonzalez Your Own Question
NGonzalez, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 56
Experience:  15 yrs of clinical experience, relationship issues, marriage & family therapy, eating disorders
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
NGonzalez is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a staff nurse on a strssful unit i spent half of the night

Resolved Question:

i am a staff nurse on a strssful unit i spent half of the night crying while looking after my patints, sometimes at home i start crying while just cleaning the bathroom , i do not like taking time off work , do not feel like i know my own doctors very well they think i am making it up, i was wondering about taking saint johns wort to see if this will help me cope any better.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  NGonzalez replied 8 years ago.

I'm sorry you are having a hard time lately. I'm also sorry your doctors think you are making it up.

The frequent and sudden, unprovoked crying is your body's way of saying that its time to stop and take notice of how the stressful job, and probably other life issues, is affecting you. I understand that you do not like to take time off but it seems its in order. This is true for your own wellbeing as well as for your patients.

If you want to take St. John's Wort because you think you are depressed, I recommend you see a counselor or psychologist to get a formal diagnosis and develop a treatment plan. That may include medication of which you can discuss with a psychiatrist. Research shows that one of the most effective approaches to treating depression or depressed feeling is a combination of psychotherapy and medication. The studies I've read do not include St. John's Wort but many of the currently used SSRIs are included in the study.

You have a few options for finding a therapist and psychiatrist. Contact your insurance company for a referral or your work representative for the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)if you have this option available. EAP sessions provides a limited number of free session in which you can explore how to cope with your feelings, discuss a plan and get a referral for medicine evaluation. Another option is to ask friends you trust.

Its often tempmting to look for a quick solution to our symptoms because we want immediate relief and because we are busy with life. However, its worthwhile to consider an in-depth approach that works at solving the complexity of our symptoms. This usually yields long standing results. Good luck to you.

Best regards,
NGonzalez and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions