How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nancy Your Own Question
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 746
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Nancy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 12 year old daughter who i have noticed a change

Resolved Question:

I have a 12 year old daughter who i have noticed a change in. she has difficulty focusing, she has angry outburst in class, is very moody, she is not hyper. she is not violent or anything trying to figure out what could be wrong
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.


Thanks for using JustAnswer.

This could be a few things - if she has not started menstruating, it could be the onset. Basically, it could be hormonal changes.

It could be Attention Deficit Disorder or a Learning issue.

She could be unhappy about something, or it could be a medical issue.

Or, it could be something else....

The only way to get to the bottom of what is going on, is to first - bring her to her regular pediatrician. Have them just do a regular check up. If nothing medical shows up, then have her evaluated by a child psychologist. If that doesn't do anything to help - even with treatment, then consult a psychiatrist. It could be an issue that needs medication in order to get better.

Now, that's the long term plan - but for right now, check it out medically.

Then, psychologically, then psychiatrically.

Keep me updated - as she sees each of these professionals, and we can continue to talk about the next step.


Nancy and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
she is a smart child, capable of honor roll it is just that when she gets upset and has outbursts at school it takes her a while to de esculate. she becomes defiant with adults and does not want to listen. i notice sometimes when people are talking to her she does not focus on them. she has been menustrating since the age of 10. i took her to the doctor and it was not medical, tell me what is the difference between going to a psychologist before a psychiatrist?
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

A psychologist will deal with her thoughts, feelings and behaviors and a psychiatrist will perscribe medication.

Lack of focus is a telltale sign of ADD - attention deficit disorder, which can exist alone or with depression, processing disorders and several other issues.

A Psychiatrist would best be able to diagnose this with questions in a one hour evaluation.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.

thank you her primary doctor did recommend a psy evaluation individual therapy

Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

Yes, either a psychological or psychiatric evaluation is in order.