How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nancy Your Own Question
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 746
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Nancy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a person diagnosed with Dissociative Idenity

This answer was rated:

I am a person diagnosed with Dissociative Idenity Dissorder,PTSD,Anxiety disorder and Bipolar Disorder. I find when most of my alters are out I don't even realize that there out nor what there doing. But, it does not register to me as lost time for I have a full account of what I think I have done only to be called a liar. I have missed therapy appointments and thought that I had made it and everything during what I thought I was doing is so detailed. I don't understand why my mind lies to me when an alter is out. I leave the house in the middle of the night when I believe I am sleeping and somehow always make it back home before I wake up and don't even know I've been gone. I have had to go with medical rides to drs. appointment to ensure I really make it. A bus is a struggle for me because I can never be for certain I went where I was suppose to do. I have even lost a job due to an alter and there misdoings.But, I know nothing about it.can you explain how the mind can do this? Kim


I am glad you wrote.

Sometimes, during traumatic events, people's minds split off and form a new consciousness. The mind does this to protect the person from knowing about the trauma.

It's a protective mechanism for the person experiencing trauma - so they don't have to consciously experience it.

It's a helpful mechanism in the beginning, but after a while, when the person doesn't need it anymore, and it's still working, it's unhelpful - as you are now experiencing.

I hope this helps! Do let me know if you have further questions.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
but I have had I alter agree to marry someone ...I didn't know till i was told...In group unappropriate things pop out of my mouth....I have one alter that for 7 months went to my daughters and was doing meth,selling herself group parties with me the only female and all that time i thought i was thrift store shopping. Why is she there and so distructive to me? My boyfriend was having me watched and tapped my phone so I clearly know to what extent this alter went...she is also the one that got me fired from my job.Why won't she just go away?

She can go away with treatment.

You said you are in therapy? With a Psychologist? Or ... ?


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
His card just says mental health specialist and truely he is a little clueless as to DID

Yes, it sounds that way.

Do you want me to help you find someone?

Just send me your city and a few other nearby cities, your State, male/female preferences and if you self-pay or use insurance.

It will take me a few hours to find someone, but I will get back with you today.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well I'am on Social Security and SSD and the Oregon health Plan and do not have alot of options to where I can go. I am With Family Care Health services. I live in Portland, Oregon...97230 I do have to leave in an hour to see this therapist but I will be back about4:30pm. I will leave my computer on for I truely enjoy the answers that you are giving me. Either gender is fine as long as they have good boundaries because this alter will manipulate a week boundary of a male Dr.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
why did I not recieve an answer back and the page left?

You were right. You don't have a lot of options. But one you do have, is to request another counselor at Family Health Care Services. There aren't outpatient therapists in your area who take SS or SSD who are in private practice.

The only place listed was FHCS.


Nancy and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you