How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Carol Kryder LMFT Your Own Question
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 808
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Carol Kryder LMFT is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother has agreed to go to counseling and I am offering

Resolved Question:

My brother has agreed to go to counseling and I am offering to set it up for him and pay for it. He has been unemployed for almost 5 years and his wife has just filed for divorice. He is doing this to save his marriage. I'm afraid he thinks that this will be resolved and settled in one session. I wanted to pay for more than one session , so he can get to some of the issues which are underlying his alienation from his family and friends, etc. while at the same time keeping him using the services (since they wee paid for)
1. How do I go about finding a psychiatrist? or psychologists?
2. what would be the range for costs of a session with a Dr. in St. Louis, MO?
3. What might be an expected number of sessions to get him moving in the right direction?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 8 years ago.
Hello Little Brother and welcome to

You are correct in believing this will take more than one session and you are also very generous to do this for your brother

I would start by asking my family doctor for a referral to a good therapist. It doesn't have to be a doctor, but it needs to be someone experienced in marital issues as well as family of origin issues

You can check with American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists or The American Psychotherapy Association. The AMA actually board certifies therapists so you will get someone who has the correct credentials. I also recommend looking on the National Association of Social Workers website

The cost depends on the area of town in which the therapist works and the level of eperience and education. You should be able to get a qualified therapist who will charge between $65 and $80 per session. As for the time frame, make sure the therapist will give an estimate of the time needed at the first session. I think 8 to 12 sessions would be a good length of time for these issues as long as there are no substance abuse issues or major mental health diagnoses.

Best of luck to you. Remember, even though you are paying for this therapy you will not be allowed to talk to the therapist or look at the records without a written release of information from your brother. Take care and let me know if you have other questions.
Carol Kryder LMFT and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I gather you are not suggesting a psychiatrist or a psychologist? First, he needs fast help as he will not put up with much "help" for long-- and I am thinking a psych or psychiatrist would be able to help with his depression first. If he has to go to a counselor and then a psychiatrist for medicine, we will not keep him in counseling/therapy. Do we have to go through a counselor to get to a psychiatrist?

He is unemployed for 5 years, he doesn't go to a doctor. This has got to be efficient enough that he stays with the help. We can't be going through a lot of medical hoops!

So what would be rates for a psychiatrist? Your comments about 60 to 80 for counseling are probably right for the midwest. (I live on the West coast, thousands of miles from him.) But I have no idea what psychiatrist charge in the midwest ( or anywhere, actually) I just need a range. Are we talking $250 dollars an hour? or we talking $500????

I am not sure what major mental health diagnoses are. I am assuming depression is considered not too major-- but I am not the expert here, and there are possiblities that he is really becoming mentally ill from his frustration, depression and anger.
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 8 years ago.
Hi again:

A psychiatric evaluation will cost from about $200 to $350 in the Midwest. However, a psychiatrist will not do counseling. These days they just prescribe meds. You are much better off going to a family MD for the antidepressant and then asking the MD for a referral to a therapist, and yes, I am saying you do not need a PhD or an MD for this issue.

If he is depressed and having problems with his relationships, a family therapist is specifically trained to address these issues. You can look for LMFT after ther person's name. He can also see an LPC (professional counselor) or a LCSW (social worker) for this issue.
You just need to make sure the therapist is experienced in family therapy and mood disorders.

One suggestion I have is to look under your own employment's insurance website (for example if you have Aetna, look under and look for providers in your brother's town and you can see their profiles and pick someone you think is a good match.

Best of luck to you. Let me know if you need more answers.

Related Mental Health Questions