Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have been fiting bipolar 1along with adult add. Nothing

Customer Question
I have been fiting bipolar...
I have been fiting bipolar 1along with adult add. Nothing has helped. I am at the point now that I am angry that I have to continue to live. I do not seriously think of taking my life but do find myself angry at time that I must continue to live. My children and grand children are my only reason for living. Live is hell and I am unhappy 99% of the time. I have recently heard that a new form of shock treatment has been quite sucessfull in helping with the systoms and am desperate enough at this time to find any kind of relief. Please give me you feedback on this treatment. I am willing to go to any lenght to live a fairly normal life. I understand there is a pyscatrist in the Baton Rouge, LA, area that has had much success in this area. Please give me your feed back. I have been diagonosed by my Neurlogist as well as my Pycatrist. Sincerely, ***** *****
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
6/3/2009
Mental Health Professional: Nancy, Psychotherapist replied 8 years ago
Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist

Hi Debbie,

I'll do some research for you on the doctor in Baton Rouge and what he is doing.

In the meantime, could you tell me what you've tried so far to treat the Bipolar? What medications have you been on and what were the doses?

Also, what meds have you tried for your ADD?

Nancy

I suffer from bipolar as well as adult add. As of lately it has become almost unbearable. Although I am now on disability it seems to worsen the condition. I have always worked full time and the fact that I am unable to do so now has put me into a hopeless depression. Being add it is impossible to just exist without any goals or job to keep me busy. Please give me some suggestions. Also I am having to live with others after always being self-supporting.
Mental Health Professional: Dr. C. Morgan, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. C. Morgan

Deb,

I have had several patients benefit greatly from ECT (Shock treatment). Some of them were in the severe depths of depression and also couldn't bear to go on with life, but the ECT changed that for them. It doesn't make it all go away, but it helps when someone is at that level of depression and they have failed multiple medications. There are some side effects, especially memory with ECT. Most patients their memory improves after a few months, but some it remains poor after ECT.

ECT is really not the barbaric thing the media makes it out to be. The new ECT they do now is much different than they did years ago. Most people know ECT as what they saw in One Flew Over the Cookoos Nest. That is ancient ECT. Nowadays they sedate you and you go to sleep, they induce the shock, which causes a small seizure in your brain, and then it is over and you wake up a few minutes later.

I would suggest if you have tried many different meds, and you are as depressed as it seems you are, that you go and talk to that doctor. Then look him up on the internet, ask for references from him, and then see if it is the right treatment for you.

I hope this was helpful for you, if so please click accept. If you need more info please let me know.

Deb,

I would like to apologize for this other expert coming into our personal conversation - I think he is new and doesn't know any better. I have reported his behavior and will follow up with that.

SORRY!

Getting back to our conversation - what have you tried for the Bipolar? Any medications? And what about the ADD? Have you tried any medications?

Nancy

Nancy
Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist