How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lively Your Own Question
Lively, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 260
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Lively is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on short term dissability from work for emotional stress,

Resolved Question:

I am on short term dissability from work for emotional stress, depression, anxiety ect. and after 2 1/2 weeks of supplying paperwork from my primary care physician and my own signed consent form sent to them to allow my dr to release records of my treatment (meds) I was just told by the same person that my company requires that I have an evaluation by a licenced shrink or I will loose my disability benefits.   this evaluation they told me is not to determine if I need treatment by a shrink or to give me referreals to him or someone else. Its soley for my employer. This does not seem to in any way be for the treatment or benefit for me it seems to me that its a way for them to say "your fine, get over it and go back to work" am I being paranoid? is this practice regularly by companies??
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Lively replied 8 years ago.


If you're not familiar with this process, I can see where it would make you nervous/frustrated to have to go through an exam with an independent psychiatrist. I have to assure you however, that this is standard procedure- not even just for mental health disability leaves, but also for medical leaves of other kinds. The insurance company requires an evaluation by an ostensibly neutral physician to confirm that you are, indeed, in need of services before they can justify ongoing payments of your bills.

Lively and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions