Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

We have a 4 year old granddaughter that we have lucky enough

Customer Question

We have a 4 year old granddaughter that we have lucky enough to have visitation with for 4 - 5 weeks twice a year since she was 4 months old. Her parents separated almost a year ago because the mother was having an affair and telling her 8 and 4 year old that it was a "secret."

In January of this year when we had her for 5 weeks we became alarmed at some of the things she was doing. She was hitting her dolls with her clenched fists and when I asked her why, she said that they were bad and had to be punished.

On April 15th we were granted visitation once again and this time there was such a big difference in this child that we felt we had no other choice but to report it as abuse. My son who lived in Ohio, left everything to come to Lincoln, NE where we live and we contacted Child Protection Services only to be old that Ohio was going to have to be the ones to order an exam. We waited for almost a month before this finally happened.   Without a report out,
we have been ordered
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

I commend your bravery and actions - I know how hard that was to make that report. It's clear you really love her.

Let me make sure I am clear as to what has transpired so far -- you made the abuse report to NE, but they said that the report needed to be made to OH. OH had her seen in NE, but without speaking to the child, OH has told you to return the child to her mother.

Is that right?

Is there anything else you can tell me?

And... tell me how I can help you.. Are you wondering what to do next? Or, what other questions do you have?

Nancy