Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

I HAVE BEEN ON NARDIL 15MG BID FOR CLINICAL DEPRESSION FOR

I HAVE BEEN ON NARDIL 15MG BID FOR CLINICAL DEPRESSION FOR ABOUT 30 YRS WITHOUT PROBLEMS.. RECENTLY MY SISTER PASSED AWAY AND I HAVE HAD SOME TIMES WHEN ITS BEEN HARD TO COPE .. MY DOCTOR NOW WANTS TO ADD ABILIFY 5MG QD .. I DON'T THINK THIS IS NECESSARY .... I'M A NURSE AND WHAT I KNOW ABOUT NARDIL DOESN'T MIX WELL WITH ABILIFY...   I FEEL FINE JUST A LITTLE ROUGH AT TIMES SISER AND I WERE EXTREMELY CLOSE...
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, since you have clinical depression , aka Major Depressive disorder ( MDD ) , and you have been pleasantly stabilized on Nardil ( phenelzine ) , MAO inhibitor since many years , so addition of an antipsychotic such as Abilify , does not seem to be a good idea , as such a stressor like tragedy of a loved one can without a doubt aggravate one's depression , but for this there is no need to add an anti psychotic . You see Bereavement is a normal psychological response and feeling depressed at such a loss of a loved one is very much normal, it is jsut that since you have a past history of long standing depression, this incident can act as a stressor and aggravate the depressin, in which , we can either increase your dose of nardil or add 1 anti anxiety drug .

I will suggets that instead of starting on an anti psychotic ,such as abilify , which may unmask depression further , making the situation worse , i will suggets you politely suggest your doctor to start you on 1 anxiolytic ( anti anxiety drug ) , which will assist nardil and make you calmer . So, you may start on Klonopin or Buspar , PREFERABLY atart at a low dose , to be taken two times a day , morning and eveining after meals . Continue it for 1 month or so , and then sllowly withdraw form the drug and stop it.

I am quiete sure this will suit you fine.

Regards...

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I WAS ALMOST SURE THAT ROUTE WOULD BE BETTER.... THANK YOU SO MUCH... I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR ANSWER...
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I WAS ALMOST SURE THAT ROUTE WOULD BE BETEER.... THANK YOU SO MUCH... I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR ANSWER...

Your welcome !

No need to worry just continue on your present medication , nardil .. just see for a week how your symptoms fare , if they still persist just add 1 anti anxiety drug , either klonopin or buspar. No need to strt on abilify.

Take care..

Regards..