How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4635
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 27 year old son who is worse and worse in his mental

This answer was rated:

I have a 27 year old son who is worse and worse in his mental state. He has always had anxiety and it just kerps getting worse. He cannot relax, let alone sleep until he is absolutely worn out. he has been getting very aggressive with people and thinks everyone is out to get him or against him in some way! He gets very angry abd hostile when someone tries to help, if it is not done his way! How o I go about getting him the help he needs before he hurts someone or someone hurts him?
Hi there !

Welcome to Just answer !

Kindly answer a few questions .

1)Since how many days / months / years is your son behaving in such manner?

2)Does he often gets into altercation with other people ?

3)Does he hear non existent voices or have you seen him muttering to self ?

4)Has he ever complained or told you that he sees people / or objects which actually are not there ?

5)You mentioned that he thinks people want to harm him or are against him, does he think the same about family members also?

6)Has his professional and personal life been effected by his behaviour?

Kindly answer the questios against their numbers , and i shall get back to you with an appropriate answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1-has always had anxiety, but just the last couple of years things are getting worse 2-not until recently 3-no   4-no 5-some times6-very much so
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He thinks that everyone is disrespecting him and he is not going to take it anymore. I work in a dental office and a couple weeks ago he came to my office and confronted one of my co workers that he thought disrespected me! (MOM) He also confronted a security guard at the hospital and was asked by security to leave( couple days ago) He ended up going to another hospital, but wouold not accept that they wanted to excort him somewhere. He left there and when I asked where he was, he fthought I was in colusion with the hospital to hold him!! Haven't heard from for 3 days now! Doesn't answer any calls! I am extremely worried !
Thanks for the reply and detailed input.

From the history that you have presented about your son, it seems that he is suffering from Psychosis , as the thoughts he harbors about people disrespecting him or turning against him/ plotting against him are called as Delusions of persecution or Persecutory delusions.Along with these delusions of persecutory , he has also become aggressive , with streaks of violence in him and as you mentioned , there is a possibility he may cause harm either to others or himself. Plus , his behaviour has effected his professional and personal life , so all these features go in favour of Psychosis , which may be due to an underlying psychiatry condition called as Schizophrenia .

I am mentioning a link below which will throw more light on Delusion of persecution and the cause of it .

So, i suggest you get your son evaluated by a Psychiatrist for Psychosis with underlying Schizophrenia as soon as possible, as there is a possibility that he can get into trouble by breaking the law or getting into a serious altercation with others . If he resists in meeting up with the psychiatrist , then you shall call up the mental health institute in your area and ask for help to escort him to the hospital or you may talk to the psychiatrist there at the hospital and ask him/ her to guide you to get him to the hospital and get evaluated and started on treatment.

After his evaluation for psychosis wih underlying Schizophrenia is done, the psychiatrist shall start him on Anti psychotics ,mood stabilizers , and may like to keep him admitted for a few days till his psychosis subsides , after which his treatment will be continued on OPD basis .

So, i suggest you get him evaluated as early as possible , always better to coax him , convince him to meet the psychiatrist ,rather than takng help from the hospital authorities and getting him escorted.

I wish your son rapid recovery to the best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for service.

Dr. Kaushik and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions