How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4672
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has a problem with anger, depression, paranoia &

Resolved Question:

My daughter has a problem with anger, depression, paranoia & insecurity, which comes out especially before her period. She cries to me and thinks everyone hates her and are against her. After a few days, she feels better. She has been to psychologists before, but has not really gotten better. She does not want to take drugs. Is this a health problem or a psycological problem? Does she need medication? We need help! Can you give us some advice what to do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Kindly answer a few questions.

1) What is your daughter's age and since how many days is she having such problem?

2) Has she been diagnosed with any psychiatry condition by the psychologists who have seen her.?

3) Has she become aggressive , violent , destructive , disrespective and unmindful of seniors , elders and other people ?

4) Does she mutter to self and carries out bizarre actions and postures such as waving in air , smiling or cying without any reason , disrobing in front of other people, doing odd body hand movements?

5) Does she feel and express that people whom she does not know want to harm her or are plotting against her to tarnish her public image?

6) Has she become self negligent , lacking self care and not paying attention to cleanliness and grooming , missing out on daily ablusions ?

7) has her appetite and sleep gone down , since the onset of her illness?

Kindly answer the queries against their numbers and i shall get back to you with an appropriate reply.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

1. She is 34 Years old and she has had this problem from her teenage years. It happens around the time of her periods. She has two children, 4 and 6 yrs old and never has taken any kind of hormones or birth control pills.

2. In her teens she went to a psycologist that sent her to her husband a psychiatrist, he put her on drugs, told us she was scitzophrenic or manic because of paranoia. That was 20 years ago! She felt better and went off the drugs and left the psycologist. Wouldn't she be worse by now if this was true? Years later she went to another psycologist and she said she wasn't scitzo, worked thru some problems and she was okay for awhile. She got married, had kids and again I talked her into seeing someone. She went for awhile and said she wasn't helping, so she stopped. Lately, still around the time of her periods, she gets upset when something happens with her kids, like her son wouldn't go on a trip with the class (he's 4) she crys, no one likes her, the ladies in her kids school hate her, won't talk to her or have their kids play with their kids. She is depressed, says the kids would be better off without her, and a couple of days later she seems fine. She is going to nursing school right now and very stressed out. She is unorganized but doesn't seem to have any manic highs, just the lows before her periods.

3. No, only has arguments with me, her father, brother or her husband.

4. No

5. No, they are people that she knows, friends, other mothers at school, kids teachers.

6. No

7. No

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the reply and detailed information.

Well, since you mention that her such behaviour has been there from the time of her teenage years , it seems like that she has Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) , also called as Emotionally unstable personality.

People with BPD , have mood instability , are emotionally weak and labile , are soft targets of other people and are prone to Depression. The fact that she goes into depression during her periods which is a cyclical depression and stems from her boderline personality , as she is succeptible to depression and more so the demanding lifestyle makes her all stressed and when she cannot cope with the demands , her stress overwhelmes her and the depression sets in , which has taken a cyclical pattern , meanining that it coincides with her periods and subsides on its own after a brief period.

I am mentioning below a link to Borderline personality disorder , which will throw more light on it , help you to understand it better."

Now as far as solution to her long standing problem is concerned , i am mentioning below a regime that she can follow and this will help her in alleviating her symptoms.

1) She needs to be evaluated by a psychiatrist for Borderline personality disorder ( BPD) , which has not ben done previously in her case.

2) After the evaluation is complete and her diagnosis of BPD is established , she needs to be started on Psychotherapy , that is counseling in lay terms. Some good psychotherapies used in treatment of BPD are -- Behaviour therapy , Cognitive behaviour therapy , Cognitive psychotherapy , schema therapy , etc . The psychiatrist will be choosing one or a combination of the psychotherapies to manage her Bodrerline personality .

3) Anti depressants such as Effexor XR or Paxil or Zoloft , shall be used for a few weeks to few months to treat her cycical depression once for and all.

So, i suggest you get your daughter meet a psychiatrist , get her evaluated for BPD , and then discuss the above mentioned regime with the psychiatrist and get her started on it. I am quite sure this will help.

I wish your daughter all the best.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Dr. Kaushik and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How does one find a Dr. to help her, that is the RIGHT person and in her insurance plan?? I have her talked into going to a therapist. She will be done with a very stressful class in a week or two. I told her I would help her find someone.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
lt;p>Well, as i have mentioned earlier she needs to be seen by a psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist who will evaluate her for the Borderline personallity type and there on start her on Psychotherapy ( counseling) .</p><p> </p><p> AS for to find a psychatrist , you can consult the local mental health institute of your area/ near your area , and ask for the names and contacts of psychatrists and psychologists practicing in your area or near it , and then individually you need to contact the concerned psychiatrist and ask him/ her for the insurance plan they deal with or you can consult the visiting psychiatrist in the mental health of your area and show your daughter to him/. her and also verify about the insurance plan they deal with.</p><p> </p><p>I hope this helps . I will treat this as a follow up question so no need to pay for this . Take care.. I wish your daughter all the best.</p><p> </p><p>Regards..</p>