How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nancy Your Own Question
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 746
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Nancy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 30 year old man born into the unification church moonies

Customer Question

I am a 30 year old man born into the unification church "moonies" and am mentally depressed and am experiencing substance abuse problems based on my inability to deal with the world. By world i mean the "churches" world or the real world. I believe it comes down to my upbringing in the "church" and I want to correct the direction my life is taking. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.



I am glad you wrote!


To successfully treat your depression, see a Psychiatrist (not your regular MD, PCP etc), but a Board Certified Psychiatrist.


Once on the meds, your thoughts, feelings and behaviors will change - you will become more yourself than you ever have been before. The medications make your brain work properly. You won't regret it -- it will make all the difference.


After a few months, THEN make a decisions as to what else you want/need. Have you considered seeking counseling? Nothing to deep... but some support around making these new decisions, and changes in your life?


There are professionals that specialize in this sort of issue - you are not the first person to struggle with how you were raised and what the world demands - and there are people who work with current and ex-church members.


How else can I help?



Related Mental Health Questions