Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I was envolved in an auto accident and suffered severe head

Customer Question
trauma. I suffer from anger...
I was envolved in an auto accident and suffered severe head trauma. I suffer from anger dyscontrol along with impulse dyscontrol. My short-term memory is non-exsistant. I have had several diagnoses. Most notably Organic Brain Syndrome. Is this diagnosis consistant with a diagnosis of a personality disorder?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
4/10/2009
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, Organic brain syndrome consists of disorders such as Dementia and Delirium , both of which can occur as a result of head injury or insult to the brain , and so in Organc brain syndrome (OBS ) , one may have loss of short term memory (retrograde memory) as seen specifically in dementia , and in your case dementia secondary to head trauma .

However , Personality disorder is a different entity , and it is not consistent with OBS , WHATSOEVER , however , this does not rule out the fact that the two different entities cannot occur in the same person, but whenever such a condition may happen , personality disorder needs to be present in the person right from the start , as in right from his younger days , and the typical personality would get stuck to that person life long.

While , OBS , is developed later in life , and is predisposed by specific reasons such as advancing age , stroke , neurodevelopmental disorders , head trauma, inflammation, infection, etc for DEMENTIA and Alcohol intoxication, alcohol withdrawl , Infection , inflammation of meninges, head trauma and many other causes.

So, you see Personality disorder and OBS are two different conditions with different clinical picture , have no consistency with each other whatsoever , but by shear coincidence can occur together in a person , but that too a Personality disorder occurring first AND OBS DEVELOPING LATER IN life , due to some predisposing condition./ cause.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer , as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards....
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist