How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4672
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son of 18 years old expresses an agressive behaviour and

Resolved Question:

My son of 18 years old expresses an agressive behaviour and left school. He says the way of life society has to offer don't motivate him. He goes to bed 5.00 am and wakes up 16.00 pm. His stress is noticeable most of time. He keeps a few friends, but I never saw him with a girlfriend. Nevertheless, I have reasons to not consider him homo. He is an intelligent boy with great imagination. He is not an happy boy and is very concerned with his self image. People finds him an handsome boy. What can I do to help him?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
Hi there ,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, it must be really frustrating for you to see your son like this , but i need to know a few answers , so kindly answer a few questions .

1) is he like this , since childhood or is this a new development ?

2) Does he neither desires nor enjoys close relationships, including being part of a family ? does he almost always chooses solitary activities ? ,takes pleasure in few, if any, activities ? lacks close friends or confidants other than first-degree relatives ?appears indifferent to the praise or criticism of others ,?emotional coldness and detachment?

Kindly answer the queries against their numbers , and i shall get back to you with an appropriate answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My Reply to Dr. Kaushik:

1) No. This behaviour began around 15 years old.Till then he was a normal boy.After 15 years old he expressed an obsession with his self image. He says he is unable to know how he is - if he is handsome or not.

2) Yes. He almost always chooses solitary activities, normally in front of computer shearching information about conscious/unconscious relation. He admires an author- David Icke - and his theories about The Illuminati. He would like to know Hawaian kahunas and other shamans. He takes pleasure in playing football (soccer), sometimes.

He has 2 or 3 close friends of same age. He is very concerned to the praise or criticism of others. His relation with his mother is very confliting, because his mother criticizes he most. She says always that he is a lazy boy. He expresses emotional coldness and detachement.

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

Well, from the features which you have described about your son's behaviour , it seems probably he is suffering from A Personality Disorder , called as Schizoid personality disorder , as emotional coldness, detachment , lack of friends and close relationships , preoccupation with fantasies , lack sensitivity and have difficulty to strike close relationships , little desire to mingle with the opposite sex , that is why he has not had any girlfriend so far ( he is not homosexual , it is due ti this personality disorder that he does not mingle with the girls) ,such schizoid personality disorder patients underperform in their school or colleges , and in fact are not interested in gaining knowledge through such mediums, and lack enjoyment in life (anhedonia ).

So, i suggest you consult a Clinical Psychologist and get him evaluated for Schizoid Personality disorder and this will confirm what i have proposed here.

As far the treatment of Schizoid Personality is concerned , it will be a tough task for you to get your son to meet the psychologist , get evaluated and then get started on the treatment , as schizoid personality patients , do not trust health care professionals and shun any kind of interaction with them , but , any how you have to coax him to see a Clinical psychologist , and get him evaluated.

The treatment is a bit tricky as their is no specific treatment for ths condition but the folowing three options are the ones which are given in Schizoid personality disorder.

1)Drugs -- Wellbutrin (bupropion ) an anti depressant used to treat the lack of enjoyment(anhedonia).

Risperidone (risperdal) or Olanzapine (zyprexa) , for social problems ,and emotional flattening, and coldness.

2) Psychotherapy -- that is counseling offered by a clinical psychologist ,and the best counseling / psychotherapy for Schizoid personality disorder is Cognitive behavioural therapy which will be provided by a psychologist.

3) Group therapy

I am mentioning below a link to a site which will throw more light on Schizoid personality disorder and make you more aware of your son's present condition.

So, i suggest you consult a clinical psychologist and get your son evaluated for Schizoid personality disorder , and get him started on the treatment mentioned above.

I wish your son best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button , if you are satisfied with the answer , as only then will i be credited for my service.

Dr. Kaushik and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you