How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4672
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I suffer from depression i dont care about my appearance and

Resolved Question:

I suffer from depression i dont care about my appearance and hygyne i lost all interest in my hobbies i used to love wake up in morning wet with sweat i dont eat proper have suicidal moments i cant concentrate for more than 2 minutes when i drive i dont check for other traffic users am i disabled as under the dda?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, the symptoms which you are suffering from are characterstic features of Major Depressive disorder ( MDD), and the most important symptom which worries me and also demands prompt attention towards your condition is Suicidal Ideas .You are not disabled , but yes ,you have developed social and occupational impairment , due to which you are not able to carry out your daily routine , have become self negligent and lack self care , also are unable to feel pleasure ( anhedonia).

You have mentioned that you have been placed on Fluoxetine, But , i believe the drug is not able to control your depressive symptoms , and the treatment regime needs prompt review by your Psychiatrist.

I would suggest you add ANOTHER ANTI DEPRESSANT ALONG WITH FLUOXETINE SUCH AS TRAZADONE TO BE TAKEN AT NIGHT , DISCUSS ITS DOSE WITH YOUR DOCTOR , but as of now you should immediately contact your treating psychiatrist / doctor and get THESE DRUGS started .

Also, mention about suicidal ideas that you are having right now, as suicidal ideas alone are good enough reasons for hospital admission.

Please do not ignore your condition , and CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR AS SOON AS POSSIBLE , and let him decide whether you need hospital admission for few days , till your suicidal ideas get controlled . Also, mention the drug i have mentioned here , and it would be best if you can get yourself started on Cognitive Behavioural therapy ( CBT), which is psychotherapy (counseling) , advised for depressive patients , offered by psychiatrist and clinical psychologists alike . THE combination of drug therapy and counseling (CBT) , will surely bring about drastic improvment in your condition, you just have to take a small step towards meeting your doctor as soon as possible, before suicidal ideas overwhelm you .

Kindly please do the needful as i have requested you to do.

I wish you best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer , as only then will i be credited for my service.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
would i be covered under the dda as i struggle with my day to day activities ?
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
lt;p>I think you need to have a formal diagnosis of major depressive disorder by your psychiatrist for you to get covered , so you shall consult your psychiatrist and ask for the certificate mentioning your MDD diagnosis and the pescriptions on which you are placed upon. Had you been admitted in the hospital , then it would have been easier ,as along with the discharge card you could have asked for a certificate of your condition of MDD , which would have helped you in getting the cover.</p><p>But, nonetheless , you consult your doctor under whose treatment you are currently on , and request for the cerificate for your diagnosis .</p><p> </p><p>I hope this helps ..</p><p> </p><p>Please press the ACCEPT button , if you are satisfied with the answer ,as only then will i be credited for my service.</p><p> </p><p>Regards...</p>
Dr. Kaushik and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you