How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nancy Your Own Question
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 746
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Nancy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Bipolar Disorder

Resolved Question:

My mother is diagnosed with bipolar disorder. She is currently taking (please forgive the spelling) abilify, efexor, and depakote. She is now depressed, more than I have ever seen her. She has stated that she just does not care anymore. I am afraid for her health and her career. She has not been to work in weeks and I am afraid she will lose her job. She lives in the united states virgin islands and there aren't many psychiatrist down there. I don't know what to do. Her medication does not seem to be working at this point and she has had it readjusted before. What should I do? I'm her daughter and I currently live in New York City. Is there anywhere that I can take her that won't be extremely expensive? I really want to help her.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

If I were you, I'd call her Psychiatrist. He/she may not be able to give you any information, (due to laws regarding confidentiality) but you can certainly tell them what you are seeing, and they can call her to check in and schedule an appointment to readjust doses. They already have her medical history -- have her as a patient and know what meds she is on.


This should be your first step. New patient appointments can be weeks out...


After that, depending on the outcome, we can discuss getting her ongoing care.






Nancy and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions