How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4642
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has been diagnosed with OCD, Bypolar and

This answer was rated:

My daughter has been diagnosed with OCD, Bypolar and depression. Her psychiatrist has her on 3 different prescriptions; Zanex, Lamechtal and then another mood stabilizer. Brittany is not getting better and continues to make bad choices. I believe it is because she is not being honest with her psychiatrist. Her doctor does not know that Brittany claims to see dead people and hear voices. Plust Brittany has a $300 a month pot habit.
lt;p>HelloCustomer</p><p> </p><p>                             I am really sorry to know about your daughter's present condition, but in all honesty i would like to stress that if she is actually having symptoms such as hearing voices and seeing dead people , then in psychiatry terms these are called as auditary and visual hallucinations , which infer that your daughter is currently in a state of psychosis , which either is due to underlying Bipolar Disorder or her pot habit or both and i believe it is due to both bipolar disorder as well as pot addiction , that she has gone into psychosis . In such a case of psychosis , one cannot be trusted to be truthful , not because the patient does not want to be truthful , but , because the patient has gone far away from reality and lacks insight ( that is lack of awareness of one self and surrounding ).</p><p> </p><p> So, i would suggest that over here you as a parent have to come out as a representative of your daughter and with honestly tell her psychiatrist what is actually going on , that she is having auditary and visual hallucinations and that the medications which have been prescribed to her are not being effective . But, here , i would like to mention that since she cannot be trusted with taking of medications on time , so you should take the reponsibility to give her the medications on time as prescribed by the doctor as only then she will improve.</p><p> </p><p>As far as the current treatment regime is concerned , everything is in order , but , i do not see any anti psychotic being prescribed , which becomes necessary in her condition as she is in psychosis . So, i suggest that you discuss this, with your doctor and ask him , if an addition of anti psychotic such as Risperidone or quetiapine , would be good , i believe this addition to the current regime will definitely have a positive outcome on her health. So, i suggest that you discuss with your doctor , the use of any one of the anti psychotics mentioned above in the current regime , and also tell him / her about the auditary and visual hallucinations , as this will make him aware of the psychotic state of your daughter and he will agree to the addition of anti psychotic.</p><p> </p><p>I wish your daughter best of health.</p><p> </p><p>I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.</p><p> </p><p>Please press the ACCEPT button , if you are satisfied with the answer , as only then will i be credited for my service.</p><p> </p><p>Regards..</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. The problem is I do not know who her doctor is. Brittany is 26 and does not give us that information. I just know that she is a woman psychiatrist. You said she is in a psychosis state. How long can this state go on? She has been having these Hallucinations for years and on a daily basis. I was not aware of it until 2 years ago when she confided in me. I can look in our yellow pages and start calling doctors. I am afraid of the consequences in our relationship if I can get this information to her doctor. However, at this point in time we really don't have one. She has cut off all family relationships. And, she just lost another job.
Well, my sympathy is with you , and i can understand your apprehension , but , you need to take a stand here, and no matter how much your daughter may despise you for this , but it becomes your duty at this very crucial moment to take the initiative , first find the lady psychiatrist and tell her what your daughter is going through , both of you may decide not to let your daughter know of your meeting with the psychiatrist , i am again stressing here , that since two years you have known that your daughter is having such complaints , you should have acted earlier in this respect .But , nonetheless, it is never too late to take the initiative , so kindly do as i have mentioned earlier , call up her friends , her workplace where she used to work and somehow retrieve information about her psychiatrist . now, having to think about it more, i feel that there is a good possibility that if she is regularly going to see her psychiatrist , because in her condition it is quite possible that she does not want to be regulated neither by a doctor or a family person , and that is the reason why she has cut all sorts of connection with you people .

Now, as far as the duration this psychosis will last , i would say if she is started on the right treatment , as i have proposed earlier by her psychiatrist , then it will probably take a few months for her to get back to normal self , but even after coming back to normal self , she is expected to stick to her regime for atleast 1-2 years , yes this a long duration of therapy , but we do not have any other option here , but , the good thing is that after her present symptoms get controlled with these drugs , she may start doing all the routine activities as she used to do earlier , and the continuation of drugs will prevent relapse of symptoms.

I hope this answer helps you.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer, as only then will i be credited for my service.

Dr. Kaushik and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions