How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nancy Your Own Question
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 746
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Nancy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a college age son who has adhd. He has been in

Customer Question

I have a college age son who has adhd. He has been in trouble with the law for 6yrs now and has finally earned a 6 month suspended sentence due to his 2nd oui. He has probation for two years which would be a miracle if he could complete it trouble free. The problem is that he is here on a green card and will be automatically deported back to Ireland after the jail sentence????This I feel would be detrimental to him as his two years in engineering may buy him six months off a 4-yr program at home. He found cognitive therapy very helpful with an Albany based psychiatrist and no pills when we sent him on a six week residential program for alcohol abuse. The problem is that we can't find a good cognitive therapy person since he came home(Westborough,MA). Andrew from a very young age was very hyper and very intelligent. He was walking at 9mths with help and yet socially he seems to be an outcast. He is offensive and rude without even realising it hence his lack of friends. Can you help me
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
Hi there ,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, it must be really frustrating for you as a parent , to see all these undesired life events happening in your son's life . You had mentioned , he has been diagnosed with ADHD in childhood , however , i feel differently about his diagnosis of ADHD , AS i feel he can be a case of Conduct disorder in childhood, or ADHD has been coexisting with Conduct disorder . Also, this conduct disorder in adult life gets converted into Anti social personality disorder. Moreso , the drugs you have mentioned here which he has been placed upon , are not the ADHD drugs which are recommended usually and this raises more concerns about the specificity of the diagnosis .

I would like to ask a few questions , some of the questions may be a bit too direct and may not be liked by you , but i request you to answer them ,as , it is necessary to have a clear picture about your son's diagnosis and only then i can dwell further on the treatment that should follow.

1) has he been aggressive , violent towards other kids , elders , pets ?

2) Has he been defiant in following orders from seniors and elders, disrespectful towards seniors , and has he been rule bender all these years , so much so that , there always been complaints regarding him from school and college?

3) Has he indulged in constant Lying, truancy , thefts , breaking of law ?

4) Has he done substance abuse ( drugs ) , other than alcohol , which you have already mentioned?

5)has he been below average in studies or have always struggled in studies and lagged behind in school?

Kindly answer the questions against their numbers , so that it helps me understand his condition better.

Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.
The addictions department at Advocates, Inc., in Marlborough, is good.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Nancy you have feel free to keep my email but I didn't get one.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Nancy you have feel free to keep my email but I didn't get one.

I also need to know if Dr. Kaushik is going to get back to me. I did answer his questions but don't know if he got my reply.The last question didn't show up until the others were answered. I do need the name of a good cognitive behaviour psychologist preferably near Boston with a proven track record, preferably a man who is taking new clients. I will pay privately if I can get the right person.

I guess this page is the email, it's not an actual address i can add to my email list.

Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

Yes, he will get back to you.

I am referring you to Advocates, Incorporated in Marlborough... call them, they have an addictions department that is very good.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I will call Nancy,Thank you.

My husband has just reminded me that he has done AA and Adcare. He is also on Adderall for his adhd.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Nancy can you check and see if the answers to the questions that Dr. Kaushik asked me were received. I don't know if i filled them in the correct place.

Thanks Catherine.

Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

I don't see your anwers. Write them again, and note they are specifically for him...


Customer: replied 8 years ago.

1. The answer is no to all of these. He had three snakes as a child and always cared well for them. We have always had dogs cats and rodents and he has been good with all. He has worked for a restaurant for one year during college vacations and has won points from the managers for helping older customers find wallets,help them to stand etc. With his peers he liked to organise boxing competitions until we made him join a boxing club where it would be supervised correctly and we didn't have to worry about someone getting hurt on our property.

2. He isn't defiant or disrespectful but he isn't intimidated by them either. We noticed this from when he was very young. When other kids would be scared if they were called to the principals office Andrew wouldn't lose any sleep over it. He was always in trouble in school for doing silly things so much so that we had to take him out of two high schools two years in a row otherwise he was going to be expelled. eg.on one occasion he bounced a very small ball in the hallway during lunchtime. It ricocheted off the wall and hit the teacher on the eye. He was called to the office with his dad and didn't understand what all the fuss was about as he hadn't done it on purpose. On another occasion he with others tied a volunteer friend to a school desk with duct tape and timed the boy to see how long it would take him to release himself. In doing so the varnish was pulled from the desk and once again he was in the principals office as he had thought of the idea. Once again his attitude was one of indifference as he didn't think it was a big deal. This attitude infuriates principal of schools, and most recently police officers. On a third occasion he put pencil lead around a coin and got one of the teachers he didn't like to move the coin down and across his face, the teacher went to his next class with this mark on his face and of course Andrew was out of the school that day. One year ago in college he was thrown off residence for good as he urinated through the keyhole of a guys apt and ruined the carpet as this guy and his friends had held him down during drinking and poured beer into his throat via a funnel. once again he felt this was justice but the board didn't feel the same way. He will never be allowed back on residence campus in college he was informed (by letter).

3.He has always got in trouble rather than lie. From about 18yrs on he would not answer rather than lie. He has been truant from school in his life probably less than one week total. He has never stolen to our knowledge. he knows the code to our safe but has never taken anything. He has broken the law as in oui's two so far and breaking a window in his ex girlfriends house out of anger when he found her in bed with her ex boyfriend. At this incident the girls mother realised what happened and tried to hide him in the basement as she had called the police thinking a burglar broke the window. Our town plus the neighbouring towns sniffer dogs were called in plus about ten cops. He was charged with breaking and entering but luckily the girl and her mother wouldn't press charges.

4. We don't know that he has done drugs but assume he may have in high school. Drugs have never been an issue to our knowledge.

5. He has always been very intelligent. We have references from high school teachers and college professors stating that he is one of the best students they have ever had. In his SAT's he was in the 98th percentile in his math and 76th percentile in English. He gets bored in school quickly as he picks up his work quickly. He doesn't take notes in college as he remembers everything. He did get into some prestigious colleges based on his finishing high school on the high honor roll and his SAT's but his police record left little to be desired. These schools told him that if he didn't get in trouble with the law for one year he could attend but unfortunately he is still in trouble with the law.

These are the answers to Dr Kaushik's questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply , now the clinical picture of your son seems to be clearer .
Yes , from the symptoms which you have mentioned , in the previous post ,does present him as a case of ADHD. I am fully aware and understand your concern about saving his some years of studies ,but , right now you should take it upon yourself to get your son out of this vicious cycle of getting into trouble , as even if this time around he is saved from punishment , still , due to his uncontrolled underlying condition of ADHD , he is bound to get into trouble again, so , as of now, your focus should be to get him an appropriate treatment , as i believe , there has been to many psychiatry consultations with little cosequence.

Well. i agree that Cognitive therapy is good treatment modality for treating ADHD , but still i feel dRUG THERAPY IN THE FORM OF PSYCHOSTIMULANTS AND NON PSYCHOSTIMULANTS, ARE THE FIRST LINE OF TREATMENT , BUT FROM YOUR POST , I PERCIEVE THAT , your son was never been given psychostimulants in the first place.

So, i strongly recommend , you consult a Psychiatrist , who does not shy in prescribing psychostimulants , and does not treat this case of your son casually , as i must stress here that these youthful years are very important in one's life , and these are the years where one lays the foundation for your future by working hard towards one's goal and success, so we need to save these precious years of your son.

So, i suggest , after his residential programme for alcohol abuse is complete , you should get him an appointment with a good psychiatrist and discuss the use of psychostimulants along with cognitive Behavioural therapy ( CBT) combination , and get him started on these.


Some good and worldwide used Psychosimulants used in ADHD are -- 1) Ritalin , 2) Adderall plain and ADderall XR ,3) CONCERTA ,4) FOCALIN, 5)DEXEDRINE . Thease are the first line drugs used in ADHD .

nON PSYCHOSTIMULANTS SUCH AS Atomoxetine (stratera) , Venlafaxine , wELLBUTRIN (BUPROPION ) , ARE USED AS SECOND line Drugs .

I suggest Adderall XR will suit him just fine , as it is extended release tablet , to be taken only once a day and has its effect round the clock , and has least side effects due to slow and regular release of drug into the system. You shall discuss the dose with the psychiatrist and along with it , also get your son started on Cognitive Behavioural therapy ( CBT). This combination will probably suit him fine and will prevent his symptoms from reccurring . But , i must stress here that you need to be patient with the results of these drugs as they take a few initial weeks to reach to their peak levels in the system , but when they reah their peak , then the results are there to notice by all. So, be patient and do not let him default on regular intake of medication and follow up.

I wish your son all the best and best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer , as only then will i be credited for my service.

Warm Regards..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Dr Kaushik

Andrew is already on adderall. He was on wellbutrin but his blood pressure shot up. Findind a good cognitive therapy person is the dilemma and this is where i thought you could recommend someone. I have been referred to a clinic but again this is trial and error. I was hoping for a name of someone who is interested in their patients and not just a job to them.

Thanks Catherine.

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.
Well thanks for clarifying, but i am really sorry, i cannot help you in this regard , as it is out of my knowledge as to whom to refer your son to . You may try calling the local mental health institute of your area , and ask the help desk for referral , or contact your family doctor , and ask him if he knows a good clinical psychologist ,as they are the one's who deal in cognitive therapy.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I can't accept your answer Nancy as I have gained nothing. The Marlborough people said that they don't have anyone who does cognitive behaviour therapy but that they will contact me if they hear of someone. We are now looking at the military and hopefully there he will be supervised enough to prevent him from getting into trouble.

Thanks anyway for trying


Expert:  Nancy replied 8 years ago.

Hi Catherine,

I am really glad you wrote back.

The people with whom you speak when you call are not trained; they are simply receptionists.

Please call(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####/strong> again and simply schedule an appointment with an outpatient therapist. The therapist will know what to do when they see your son -- but don't rely on the information of the secretary -- I PROMISE you, the therapists there are Cognitive-Behavioral in orientation. But also know that CBT just means that you discuss "thoughts and behaviors" -- that's all; there is no magic cure, it's just a way of doing therapy.

Any good therapist will do what your son needs. Until an evaluation, you can't say if that's CBT or not.

So.... please just call back and make an appointment. OKAY?


Nancy, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 746
Experience: ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Nancy and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you