How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4661
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think there is something wrong with my mind. I know I have

Resolved Question:

I think there is something wrong with my mind. I know I have some slight depression since I was a child, it gets worse depending on my situation but Im used to it. On top of that I have a "cycle" kind of mood where Ill go for a couple of weeks/months in a bad rut where my mindset changes, I feel vulnerable and that Ive lost myself. I get anxiety and do not think in correct perspective. I attempt to make all these changes (dr appts for help, shopping for things I think I need). My body also physically looks worse (skin is drier, issues with insomnia and sweating etc) The rut will go away I can usually feel myself coming out of it. When Im out of it I am clearheaded, relaxed, confident, content with myself, cannot remember what was wrong in the rut that stressed me out. Also my body goes back to perfect balance. The times of the "bad" cycle is whats killing me because it destroyed some opportunities for me (relationships, school, work),now I social anxiety because of a long bad rut.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, in order to know exactly what you are suffering from , kindly try to answer my queries .

1) You have mentioned that you have been depressed since childhood , so should i believe that your depression has lasted more than 2 years ?

2) Has there ever been a time in the past two years when you have not felt depressed at all , i mean to say , totally relieved of your depressive symptoms ?

3) Since you mention that your depression is kind of a cycle in which there are episodes when your depressive symptoms become aggressive and overwhelm you , effecting your professional and social life , so should i believe such episodes have been occurring in the past 2 years regularly ?

4) Do you have such symptoms -- low mood , inability to feel pleasure in previously pleasurable activities , lack interest in day to day activities, low self esteem, negative thoughts , self criticism, poor sleep and appetite ?

5) Do you react to good news positively , and become happy or does a good news have no change in your already depressed mood?

Kindly answer the above mentioned questions against their numbers and i shall get back to you with an appropriate response.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes all symptoms for more than 2 years. There are sometimes (usually only for a day or a couple of hours where Im perfectly 100% fine). Good news or plans usually makes me sad at first I never want to go or get stressed it wont go well. to #4 yes to all. I dropped all my friends because of this.

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the reply !

Well, from the above mentioned symptoms it seems that you are suffering from Dysthymia , which is defined as chronic depression lasting more than 2 years , with intermittent exacerbation ( increase in severity of symptoms ) seen .

Dysthymia does have a withdrawing effect on person's life, making him / her resentful to any kind of social interaction with family and friends and even miss important life events .

So, i suggest you consult a psychiatrist and discuss the below mentioned treatment with him.

1) 1 Anti depressant drug such as Effexor XR (venlafaxine extended release ) capsule or Paxil ( paroxetine ) , Zoloft ( sertraline ) , or Milnacipran , or Cymbalta . You may ask your doctor to choose any one of these drugs and get you started on it . Also discuss the dose and time of intake of the drug chosen. All these drugs are potent and effective in dysthymia , with less side effects , but let your doctor first evaluate you and accordingly choose the drug for you.

2) 1 Anti anxiety drug needs to be added to the anti depressnt, as to assist it . Some good examples of anti anxiety drugs are -- Klonopin (clonazepam ) ,or Buspar (buspirone ), or Etizolam or Alprazolam . Only one out of these needs to be added and again the dose and time of intake is to be decided by your doctor.

3) Psychotherapy -- counseling in lay terms is as effectve a treatment as drug therapy , and when added to drug therapy it will give out the best results for your condition.The best psychotherapy for Dysthymia is Cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT) , WHICH IS A short duration therapy , provided by Clinical psychologist or psychiatrist.

So, i suggest you consult a Psychiatrist and get the above mentioned regime discussed and start on the best possible regime .

I know , it has been really hard for you to endure these depressive symptoms for so long a duration , but now , i believe it is high time for you to get over with it once for and all.

I am mentioning below a few links about dysthymia , which will throw more light on it.

I wish you rapid recovery to the best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer ,as only then i will be credited for my service.


Dr. Kaushik and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you