Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have been working very stressfully at work. I recently got

Customer Question
I have been working very...
I have been working very stressfully at work. I recently got married and my family doesn't seem to accept my spouse. I have two kids of my own, one girl is 21 yrs, and a son is 18. My ex-spouse has been giving so much troubles. I don't think it is fair for my current spouse. Also, I'm a contractor and working for certainly projects of chip designs. I COULDN'T SLEEP due to these majors impacts from ex, job, raising my spouse's child who is only 8. I stayed up all night and couldn't sleep. What can I do to fall asleep easily. Since I have NO SLEEP, I've become a different person and I do not want to be like that.
Your help is a tremendous stress release to help me overcome my current difficult times.

Best regards,
Customer
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/9/2009
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer !

Well, it seems that you have got a lot of things on your plate , which are not only difficut to manage , but also have resulted in stress induced insomnia , and since the stress is somewhat permanant , as the responsibilities of your profession and that of home maker cannot be neglected , so we need to find a solution which would alleviate your insomnia without effecting you functionally.

So, here are some of the options you can dwell upon--

1) Drugs -- well this though i am mentioning first , but should not be the first choice for you , and should be taken when no other thing has actually worked. So, you can ask your family doctor to give you Ambien CR (Zolpidem) , to be taken only before sleep, and the plus point in this newer sedative is that it does not have after effects in the morning such as drowsiness, sloppiness, lethargy, thus not effecting your morning daily routine.

2) Meditation and Yoga-- even if you can devote half an hour to meditation and yoga , this will bring a lot of tranquility to your mind and you will start feeling calm and fresh as ever. You can get books and dvds about yoga and meditation in any bookstore or online as well .

3) Take a warm bath before sleep, decrease the intake of coffee and cut down on smoking, start exercising a bit , and start reading a book or a novel before sleeping for 10- 15 minutes. These mentioned are lfestyle modifications which will help you getting to sleep. These to be taken upon , along with yoga and meditation, and you may also assist them with the use of ambien cr , but since i would not want you to be dependent on a sedative for sleep, that is why i ask you to first try the 2 and 3 options first , and if they do not yield any result , then you may seek for the drug from your family doctor.

So, i suggest you shall start the regime that i have mentoned above , and i am quite sure , you will be able to get sleep.

I wish you best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards....

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist