How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lively Your Own Question
Lively, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 260
Experience:  Doctorate in Clinical Psychology, 10 years experience working with individuals, couples, & families
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Lively is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For 19 yrs my partner was in a physically and

This answer was rated:

For 19 yrs my partner was in a physically and psychologically abusive marriage. She was beaten by her alcoholic husband and put out of the matrimonial home which she fled never to return. She has been away from her husband now for nearly 4yrs. Her domineering mother-in-law with my partners husbands permission took control of her bank and credit cards, her passport and the her childrens birth certifcates. My partner during the marriage became an alcoholic but for the past 14 months has been dry. My parner has been trying to divorce her husband but he refuses to give her one. During the marriage she was made to feel worthless by her husband and mother-in-law with her opionion being not asked for or ignored. The mother-in-law even took upon herself to raise my parners youngest son with access being denied to him. My partner is now unable to answer direct questions which of course effects her job prospects and medical benefit interviews. Is there a name and treatment for this condition

It sounds like your partner might have a form of Post Traumatic Stress disorder (PTSD) and/or Battered Wife Syndrome. There is loads of research and information about both of these disorders on the web, but a good place to start might be the American Psychological Association site at

In terms of treatment for your partner, I would suggest counseling but with someone who specializes in the treatment of PTSD. She might also benefit from a low dosage of an SSRI medication such as Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc. Once she gets connected with a psychologist and/or psychiatrist, they could determine whether or not one of these medications would be right for her.

Lively and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you