Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I took the ali g test and scored a 35. Except for the adult

I took the ali g...
I took the ali g test and scored a 35. Except for the adult years in which I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, I could have been considered a loner much of the time. I feel I could handle things without medication and be the same. What is the possibility I was misdiagnosed and might be autistic yet able to function.
3/7/2009
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Hello:

Misdiagnosis is always a possibility. The symptoms of schizoaffective disorder are quite similar to Aspberger's and other disorders in the autism spectrum. I think it is entirely possible that you could be autistic.

However, having said that, I suggest that you discuss your medication with your doctor before discontinuing against medical advice.

Warmest regards,
Are there more definitive diagnostic tools that can determine whether or not I was misdiagnosed?
The only diagnostic tool I am aware of is called THE STRUCTURED CLINICAL INTERVIEW FOR DSM 4 DISORDERS (SCID 4) PROFORMA OR QUESTIONAIRE FOR DIAGNOSIS OF PSYCHOSES. It is not available to lay persons, although I have found it on Amazon.com. You need to have a trained clinician interpret the results.

As for the autism spectrum disorders, you need to have an evaluation by a psychiatrist who is trained in autism and can make the differential diagnosis between autism and schizoaffective disorder.

Warmest regards,
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT