Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Looking for residential housing for male 24 with both

Customer Question
Looking for residential housing for...

Looking for residential housing for male 24 with both schizophrenia and substance abuse in New York city/ place to call for information?

He was also rejected from the Pathways for Housing Inc. with no explaination

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 day by:
3/6/2009
Mental Health Professional: Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional replied 8 years ago
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Hello:

Sorry to disappoint you, but we are not allowed to make referrals. One of the things I noticed in your question is that this man was in a rehab but walked out.

No place will keep him against his will unless he is a danger to himself or others. That means he must be actively suicidal or homicidal. If he wants to walk out, he can do so, and unfortunately, he has the right in this country to live on the street if he wants to. Makes no sense, but that is the law.

I can only imagine how horrifying this is to you, knowing that he will not accept help. Usually the best place to get referrals is from the intake or admissions department of the local mental hospital. My suggestion is to call and ask them for referrals for a person with this type of issue, which is called "dual disorder." There are places that will take him.

Best of luck to you, and warmest regards,
Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT