Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Taking lithium and anti depressants can't quite seem to get…

Customer Question
taking lithium and anti depressants...
taking lithium and anti depressants can't quite seem to get my old self back 100per cent. Any ideas on what I can do to speed up the recovery thanks
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/5/2009
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 9 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, these drugs which you are taking currently , are the mainstay of treatment for Bipolar disorder , so i would not suggest to change these drugs , as one should never change something that has worked for you all this while , and you also need to understand that these drugs take some time to act before they get you back to 100 percent previous self , but having said that we can definitely add a thing or two in your current regime.

So, i suggest that you may start yourself on Psychotherapy ( counseling) , this would definitely help you in recovering from your depressive state and will speed up the process as well. The best psychotherapy for depression is Cognitive behavioural therapy ( CBT) , and it is a short course therapy which is given by a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist .

Along with this , you may ask your doctor to start you on anti anxiety drug such as either Clonazepam ( klonopin) or Buspirone ( buspar) , as these anxiolytics/anti anxiety agents act as good adjuvants to mood stabilizer such as lithium and anti depressants and speed up the process of recovery , but , besides all this i also would advice you to keep your patience intact .

So, i sugegst you start on the above mentioned two modalities of treatment while continuing your present treatment , and i am quite sure this will help you to get your desired response and speed up the process of recovery.

I wish you rapid recovery to best of health.

I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.

Regards...

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist