How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4635
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a gp and was diangosed with medium severe depression

This answer was rated:

I have a gp and was diangosed with medium severe depression and is in citalopram , which hasnt seem to work properly as I seem to switch moods all the time , I have a family history of bipolar my family said i should check this out , I am down for referral for counsilling but I would rather see a psycologist or Psychiatrist, I dont what is best? I dont know what to do , I just know I need help to deal with it as its affecting every aspect of my life??

Hi there,


Welcome to Just Answer !


Well, it must be really frustrating for you to be looking for a proper treatment while your depressive conditions are overwhelming you.


Well, as far as you being placed on citalopram 30 mg , i would say that it is a fairly good drug for major depressive disorder , but alone it would not be able to treat your depressive condition, so i suggest you ask your GP to add a MOOD STABILIZER such as Lithium or Valproate , also this addition of a mood stabilizer would prevent any impending Manic episode , as you are a high risk for Bipolar disorder , as by your own admission , you have a family history of Bipolar ,and the fact is Bipolar disorder has gentic basis and runs in families , so you have genetic loading.


Also , what happens is that a person like you who although has a family history of bipolar disorder might never had any episode of mania so far, but while putting you on anti depressants ,, for treatment of depression, the anti depressant may unmask ( uncover or precipitate ) a MANIA, thus it becomes imperative to use a mood stabilizer in your case , as told earlier for two reasons-- 1) To assist citalopram in treating depression and preventing MOOD SWINGS.

2) To prevent impending manic episode .


And as far as your confusion , regarding which type of specialist you should seek help from, i suggest you consult a Psychiatrist , either ask your GP to refer you , or call NHS helpline and ask for the practicing psychiatrists in your area , or consult a private psychiatrist. Meanwhile, you look for a suitable psychiatrist ,ask your doctor to place you on a mood stabilizer such as lithium or valproate , to be given two times a day , and ask him to place on a low dose.


So, i suggest you discuss the above mentioned treatment modality with your GP, AND get started on it right away, and i am quite sure adding a mood stabilizer would keep you off the mood swings and put you on the right track to recovery.


I wish you best of health.


I hope my answer serves your query according to your satisfaction.




Dr. Kaushik and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you